I. Unfinished Business

Port Royal, it was normally such a beautiful town. There were very few days Jamaica saw even a drop of rain, never mind a downpour such as what flooded the streets on this day. The ocean looked as if it were dancing from the force of the rain hitting its surface, creating a mist. The thick clouds overhead cast a dark gloomy shadow over the entire island and it suddenly seemed as if all of the colour had been washed away. The sky was grey and the fort was a damp stone brown; the sea was no longer blue and inviting but dull and violent.

Not even the flowers covering the numerous tables or the uniquely patterned China table settings caught the light. It was meant to be a true day or celebration and joy but everything, even nature had turned against them.

Elizabeth sat facing the open ocean she had once dreamt of exploring, a bouquet lying limply in her hands as water dropped from her once immaculate hair and made up face, onto the sodden wedding gown.

Ahead of her, a line of ships now littered the bay, all flying the East India Trading Company flag. From them, longboats filled with soldiers rowed towards the shore. Some with men on horse back, other with armed men. They were coming to shore and flocking into town and already Elizabeth knew why. There was only one reason why.

By the time she came to her senses and stood, fleeing into the town, Will was already shackled in irons and held by numerous EITC soldiers. He wasn't struggling but he looked pain, an emotion Elizabeth was able to match as she reached him.

"Will. Why is this happening?"

"I don't know." He almost whispered before pausing and taking a moment to take in the vision of her, the woman who should have been his wife by now. "You look beautiful."

"I think it's bad luck for the groom to see the bride before the wedding." They shared a smile, and though it was forced, it filled its purpose of bringing some small comfort to them both. That was until Elizabeth's father, Governor Swann, pushed through the crowd.

"Make way. Let me through!" His commanding voice forced the crowds to part although as he tried to reach the young couple he was barred by crossed spears. "How dare you! Stand your men down at once! Do you hear me?" The ageing man appeared flustered, eyes moving between the guards, his daughter and the man who had joined them and was currently shedding his soaked through overcoat.

"Governor Weatherby Swann, it's been too long."

Governor Swann frowned, his brow creasing and his eyes squinting, as he focused on the small man. "Cutler Beckett?"

Beckett was a small man with a petite figure. Her was short, slender and in a room of tall, armed soldiers he held very little presence. Though now in this moment, wearing his primed wig and spotless Kings Man attire, he held the gaze of every man present. He commended their attention and their doings and although he didn't seem like much his face spoke of the harm he could do. His eyes were dangerous, his gaze focused in a way that was menacingly calculative.

"It's Lord now. Actually." The man replied straightly.

The spears were then uncrossed, leaving Governor Swan free to approach Beckett.

"Lord or not, you have no reason and no authority to arrest this man." The Governor motioned to Will who was still shackled and held tightly.

"In fact, I do. Mr. Mercer?" Becket turned to look over his shoulder briefly as Mercer brought forward a wooden box, opening the lid for Beckett to take out a folded parchment.

"The warrant for the arrest of one William Turner." Without glancing at the paper, he passed it into the hands of Governor Swann who took it hesitantly. Upon opening the paper and reading the heading, he wished he hadn't, and his brain forced him to do a double take.