VIII. Douse the Lamps

It was late evening, possibly early morning judging by the stars position in the clear night sky. A small while had passed since they returned from visiting Tia Dalma and while the majority of the crew had taken their leave to recover from weeks sleeping in a suspended cage of bones, Nicolette had volunteered to take the night shift at the helm. They had a clear heading and the air was warm, it was one of those rare perfect Caribbean nights. Just the right breeze, no tropical turns in the weather and no interruptions.

When she was First Mate on the Pearl, under Barbossa, Nicolette had always taken the night shift. In the earlier years the primary reason for it was to avoid her marital bed as much as possible. If she could be going to rest as Barbossa was leaving their cabin, it made that day just a little easier to live through. But the other reason, the one she sought now, was the almost silent deck. No crew were running about, no yelling or nonsense. Those of the crew that were still awake got on with their duties quietly and efficiently and they barely acknowledged her unless it was urgent.

Only the sound of the calm waves kept her company, and if that was how it would be for all eternity, and she would be fine with that.

"Beautiful night init love." The voice came from her left and, without looking, Nic inwardly groaned. He must have crept up on her while she had been revelling in the euphoric atmosphere and now the feeling was gone, washed away like a pail of cold water had been thrown over her.

One could always dream of peace...and pray it was experienced before death.

Jack popped his lips when he failed to get anything back from the girl. "Shame, given the desired destination..." He took a step forward, pushing himself from the railings and wandered into Nicolette's eye line. When she glanced at him, he frowned, as she was completely lacking any form of...anything. Her lips were tight in a straight line, her posture had been relaxed and her grip on the helm feather light when he had first climbed up to the deck but now Nic stood rigid. "What?"

He took a step towards her as if to test the waters and then when she didn't react, he took another.

"Nicolette..." Still nothing, not even a second glance. Her eyes were focused on the horizon as if caught in a trance and upon noticing this, Jack became panicked and hopped forward to wave his hand limply in front of her face. "Do I need to call for the doctor?"

"I am not talking to you." Nic suddenly snapped and slapped his hand away. His limb remained there for a second as he watched her in shock and then, at the same time as it fell to his side, his face fell.

"This is about Tia Dalma." Jack drawled dryly. "Beg my pardon for not fully understanding how I am at fault for her saying what it is that she said...But I'm sure it will all be fine lo-"

"He was mine! Not yours to give away." Nicolette snapped, becoming agitated by his boring and unneeded rambling, and once again she managed to silence Jack.

He stared at her as silent as the grave, until eventually his lips parted. "...this is still about the monkey." Jack drawled, his eyes rolling to the back of his skull almost, as a false and minimalist smile appeared on his lips.

"He has a name." Nicolette rolled her eyes. Her lips pouted and she still tried to blank his out of her vision, her eyes studying only on the horizon. But it was hard when he kept slowly shuffling into her line of sight.

"Ah-" He stuttered, instantly quieting again. "I-" Nicolette glanced at him, for only a second, and scowled when she saw how confused and bewildered he looked. Why was it so hard to believe she loved her pet. A one she assumed lost...how the hell had he even been with Jack anyway? And cursed? "I am sorry luv, truly...it is a...loss to the crew." Jack cleared his throat although she could feel how pained the words were for him to say. The were as false as most the whores busts in Tortuga. "But, and forgive me for believing, there are larger conflicts we face." The ship creaked under his weight as he began to approach her. At first his steps were flamboyant, like a dance, as he rounded her and then they slowed as he disappeared out of sight.