XII. Weakness

1719

"Don't tell him anything about you." Jack said, taking her face in his hands and forcing her to look at him. "Don't let him intimidate you, but do what he says." 

"Who is he Jack?" Nicolette whispered desperately, her voice barely audibly above the screams of men outside.

"An...old colleague." The sound of gunshots sounded outside the cabin and Jack looked away from her for only a second to try and hear what was going on. But he heard her gasp and looked back at her, one of his hands smoothing over her hair. "I won't let him hurt you love."

All of a sudden, the door was then kicked open and Jack pushed the girl away from him and across the cabin in time for the King's men to storm the cabin. Two men were quick to secure him and Jack didn't struggle, it wasn't as if there was anywhere he could go.

He couldn't see or turn given the hold he was in, but Jack assumed a couple more guards had taken upon themselves to secure Nicolette...a girl who could probably be held down by only one of them, given the way she squealed and huffed behind him.

She fell silent soon for a reason Jack hoped was not too harsh and it was just in time for them to be joined by the guards Captain, the man who Jack had been trying to flee from for the past hour after he spotted the ship on the horizon. He had followed Bootstraps advice at the last second as they were hunted down and cannon fire began, bringing Nicolette into the cabin to hide her. But the enemy had boarded too quick and he had not had a chance to prep her for capture and hide her.

"Captain Sparrow. It's been a long time." The little man still wore the same stiff wig and faultless uniform. Just seeing it made Jack wonder why he had ever sailed under him or how he had ever trusted him.

"Not long enough, Beckett." He replied with a false smile, showing his previous employer his gold crowns.

The stopped about a foot away from Jack and took in every inch of his 'new' image. When they met eyes again, Beckett narrowed his eyes ever so slightly, and tilted his head

"Arrest him. Take him aboard." He said straightly and the men holding Jack began to drag him forwards. "I think we need to have a little-" Beckett cut himself off as he went to follow them but  he had allowed his eyes to meet something rather fascinating behind Jack. "Well, what do you have here?" The man quirked a brow at Jack's silence and then started walking slowly towards the jewel his men had found in the cabin.

"And what is your name?" Nicolette remained silent, just like Jack had told her to, and she reared back from Beckett as he raised his hand threatening to touch. "Only you Jack could find a whore this far out at sea." Beckett was grinning, but not for long as the blood in Nicolette's veins began to boil and she acted on impulse, spitting into the Captains face.

Jack couldn't help himself and laughed, at least until one of the men holding him held the end of his musket to Jack's throat.

"Feisty one." Beckett remarked and removed a handkerchief from his pocket, dabbing at his face. "I wouldn't expect anything less. Bring this young woman aboard as well, I reckon she could bring the crew some entertainment while myself and Captain Sparrow catch up." The guards carried out Beckett's request with immediate effect, and both Nic and Jack were escorted from the cabin and out onto the main deck. 

"Ni..." Bootstraps voice was measly a whisper but he still stopped himself from calling her name as she was dragged past him and the rest of the crew who had been rounded up near the mast of the ship.

She still heard, even if the guards holding her had not, and she turned her head in time to send him a small, thin smile. Whether it was an attempt to calm his nerves or her own, she didn't know but he managed to return it before she was carried off the Pearl and aboard the larger, more formal vessel.