XI. Persuasion

It was the middle of the night, later in fact, morning was upon them but they had yet to be blessed with the sun rise. Over half the crew were sleeping, most of those awake were hiding below, Norrington was sleeping off his liquor and Elizabeth had retired to the First Mates cabin not being used by Gibbs for the night.

As what was most often the case, Nicolette had taken charge of the helm since they cast off from Tortuga. For some reason, unbeknownst to even herself, the girl's presence on the ship was still bothering her even though she was currently unconscious and out of sight. It was the way her stupid full lips had pouted, how her jaw caught the dim light so elegantly. Stupid posh young girls, they were all the same.

The same who used to tug her hair when she was young and only trying to play in the French Gardens, the same who made fun of her accent in England, the same who tutted at her now when she was arrested and led past them. They were all the same, like bloody paper chain men.

The notes started to sound from her mouth without her even knowing. Not in any particular order or to any particular tune, Nicolette's voice was carried out across the ship and into the open seas, the calm waves sweeping the melody further out into the unknown. Her voice was truly remarkable, and it was no wonder the crew mistook her for a siren so very often. Her tone was soft and haunting, reaching highs and lows while being as smooth as silk. With the breeze caressing her hair and the moonlight kissing her skin, any man would be drawn to her like treasure even if it meant meeting his death.

It was all subconscious, a simple and harmless way of soothing herself and her restless mind. It brought back the feeling of being just a tiny child, wrapped in her mother's arms during a long voyage and hearing the soft Italian lullabies being hummed softly in her ear as gentle kisses were pressed against her temple.

She never knew she was doing it, and never intentionally sang unless it was silly old sea shanties in the tavern when she was younger or by the longing requests of the crew many years ago. But it was beautiful, so beautiful that now as the sounds were carried below deck, the men began to smile during their dream one by one, turning in their beds to hug their stiff pillows. Those working on the main deck stopped and turned to the helm, pausing for a second to close their eyes and sigh at the heavenly voice. A welcomed distraction from a daunting journey.

"You sing wonderfully." The sudden interruption from an unfamiliar voice so close by caused Nicolette to gasp and jump. She stood up, straighter than a board with her hands grasping at the spokes on the helm, and turned to see the ghostly paleness of the young girl. "My apologies. I didn't mean to startle you." Elizabeth spoke, head dipped in shyness, from where she stood at the top of the steps by the railing.

"It's alright, I was daydreaming." Nicolette tried her best to keep the frown at bay and shook her head with a tiny smile. Elizabeth, as kind as always, returned it and began to slowly wander closer.

"I have not been able to sleep since Will left." She spoke, almost in a whisper as she crossed Nicolette's vision and went to the other side of the ship, leaning upon the railing and staring out at the sea. The older women didn't reply but continued to watch the girl from the corner of her eye, listening. "It was the day of our wedding when we were arrested."

Nicolette did not have any words to reply to her with. For one she wasn't known for her comforting talents and the simple mention of marriage was still enough to leave a bitter taste in her mouth.

"Consider it a lucky escape girl." She replied bitterly, the image of her wedding dress coming back to her and causing a shiver to run down her spine. "Awful business really."

"How can you say that?" The girl snapped, looking back over her shoulder at Nicolette. "You're marriage may not have been out of love but mine will be."