xvi

Disclaimer: I own nothing except the order these words are in, everything else belongs to JKR.

December 20, 1977

Gryffindor Common Room, 7:00 pm

3rd Person POV:

As Hermione sat with the Marauders, watching Sirius open his birthday presents, she had no doubt that she had begun to develop feelings for the grey eyed Marauder.

Sirius reached for his last present, reading the tag out loud, "To Sirius, from Hermione. Thanks Hermione!"

She laughed, "You haven't even opened it yet!"

James rolled his eyes when Sirius replied, "I love it already!"

"Just open it, Padfoot." Remus sighed.

"Okay, okay!" He quickly ripped the wrapping paper off his present. Sirius stared at the leather jacket as he pulled it out of the box.

Sirius' mouth hung open as he slowly looked up at Hermione, who was grinning widely at him. He seemed unable to speak as he blinked at her in shock.

"Do you like it?" She asked.

"I-I- Thank you, Hermione! How did you know that I wanted a leather jacket?! This is amazing! I love it so, so much! Thank you, thank you!"

Hermione laughed at him as he tackled her in a hug.

December 22, 1977

Gryffindor Common Room, 7:00 pm

3rd Person POV:

Two days later, Hermione was in the library, studying, much to Sirius' chagrin ("NEWTS are months away, Hermione! You don't have to study now!"). She, however, deigned to ignore his protests in favor of her favorite part of the library – the back left corner. There was a huge window, which let in lots of sunlight, a perfectly sized table for Hermione to work at, and her favorite part – the window seat, which she often sat in when she wasn't actively studying.

It was perfect, and it was all hers – hardly anyone came back here. Hermione loved the peace. And, as everything else Hermione loved, it had to be ruined. First, by James, who had come looking for her by Sirius' request. After kicking him out, Remus came by.

"Hello, Remus, are you here to interrupt my peace, too?" She questioned sarcastically.

His eyes widened, "Um, no, I was wondering if I could study with you?"

"Oh! Well, yes, of course! Sorry about that, I just kind of assumed that Sirius sent you to bother me – he sent James earlier." She rushed out.

Remus looked guilty, and at Hermione's raised eyebrow, he said, "Well, he sorta did send me, and I told him I would come, but I actually did come to study. See?" He held up his books.

"Mhmm." Hermione said skeptically, but she indicated for him to sit down anyway. After a moment of silence, she asked, "Why doesn't he just come, himself?"

Remus chuckled lightly before saying, "He says he's 'allergic to the library' and he doesn't want to 'catch something.'"

"Umm," Hermione paused, at a loss for what to say, "well, that's... odd."

"Tell me about it. Even though I might be friends with those two knuckleheads, I still need a break from them sometimes."

Hermione laughed, "I can definitely understand that."