p r o l o g u e

Disclaimer: None of this belongs to me – It all belongs to JKR. I only own the order these words are in :)

May 2, 1998

Hogwarts ~ The Final Battle

3rd Person POV:

Spells flew around Hermione as she raced through what was now the ruins of Hogwarts. She threw spell after spell over her shoulder as she continued rushing through the rubble and towards the Great Hall. She was looking for one person – she knew that Harry was in Dumbledore's office looking through Snape's memories and Ron was with his family – mourning Fred's death.

Hermione turned the corner, only to find Bellatrix cackling madly over a woman's body. Hermione couldn't see who it was from where she was standing, but when she took a few steps forward, she could tell that the woman was bleeding profusely from a slicing hex and Bellatrix was holding a dagger - the dagger - in one hand and her wand in the other.

The woman groaned in pain and tried to get up, but Bellatrix pinned her down with her wand arm and pulled her other arm back to stab the woman. At that moment, Hermione made a decision that she knew would kill her.

Time seemed to slow down as she rushed at the older woman lying among the rubble and shoved her away, taking her place. The Death Eater barely registered the switch and by the time she had, it was too late, and she had brought the dagger down, full force.

It hit Hermione just below her ribcage.

For a moment, she was numb. Then the pain began. She faintly remembered that she had the Destiny Turner around her neck, but she couldn't think straight enough to process what the consequences could be.

Hermione felt the glass being pushed into the wound, but then, as Bellatrix cackled, she felt the world begin to spin. Everything turned to shades of red and yellow. She vaguely saw Hogwarts burning, and she heard screams of anguish – some of them her own, but then her body was lifted up and she was spun round and round before slamming into a very familiar floor.

A/N: What do you think so far? Should I continue??