iv

Disclaimer: I own nothing but the order these words are in, everything else belongs to JKR :)

September 12, 1977

3rd Person POV:

Hermione had just gotten dressed the next morning when the four boys ran in.

"'Mione! We have class today, hurry up!" Cried Sirius excitedly.

Hermione raised an eyebrow at the nickname but picked up her schedule and beaded bag, nodding, "Calm down, Sirius, we're not going to be late."

"Yeah, don't mind him," Remus smiled, "he just hasn't had breakfast yet."

"Ok," Hermione laughed, "Anyway, I have to go get my school stuff – Dumbledore said he put them in the dorm." She was about to leave before she remembered that she wasn't supposed to know her way around, "Could you guys show me where that is?"

"Sure," said James, "But how about we go to breakfast first, 'cause Pads over here would probably die of hunger." He grinned, slapping Sirius on the back, "Then, you can meet the girls and they can show you the dorm – boys can't go into the girls' rooms."

"Not anymore, they can't," Sirius grumbled playfully, " 'cause you just had to go up there to try and get Lily to pay attention to you."

"That was one time! You've gone up like a million times!"

"But the teachers don't know, and that, my dear Prongs, is the difference between a bumbling idiot like you and a charming young man like me."

Hermione laughed out loud; they reminded her so much of the Weasley Twins.

The four boys were a little surprised at her laughter, but Remus quickly said, "Okay guys, c'mon we're going to miss breakfast if you keep at it."

"Jeez, Moony," Sirius grinned, "We're going, we're going. See?" He pointed at James who was practically pranced out the door.

As they settled down for breakfast, James turned and hollered down the table, "Lily! Will you come here for a second, please?"

"No, James!" Came the shout from the other end of the table.

"But it's important," he whined.

"Fine!"

With Lily came three other girls: Alice Fortescue, Marlene McKinnon, and Dorcas Meadowes.

"This is Hermione," James nodded at her, "She's new – I was just wondering if you guys could take her to your dorm, 'cause Dumbledore said her stuff was there, but, you know, we can't go in."

Lily smiled, "Sure, we'd love to." She pointed at each girl, introducing them.

Lily was tall, had long, red hair, and bright green eyes. Alice had curly shoulder-length black hair and a soft face, and Hermione suddenly realized that she was looking at Neville's mum. Marlene had choppy blonde hair, winged eyeliner that accented her gray eyes, and bright red lipstick and nails. An unlit cigarette rested between her gleaming teeth. Hermione vaguely remembered that she had died during the First Wizarding War, and her stomach jolted at the thought. Dorcas had soft brown hair and eyes, and a sweet smile – Hermione remembered seeing a picture of her somewhere. Merlin, Hermione thought, this is going to be so weird. I'm going to school with the parents of all my friends.

They finished breakfast quickly and headed towards the Gryffindor dorms. As they went, Alice and Peter pointed out where different classes were. Remus said, "Ex Tempore," as they got to the Fat Lady, "That's the password, by the way."