Chapter 5 // Paper Airplane

A/N

YO THANKS FOR 100 READS!

I read through the previous chapter, and realised I left cues and I can't remember why. But you wouldn't know this unless I told you, which I didn't. Enjoy the chapter.

Triggers
- Swearing
- Blood

-

A white paper plane flew past my vision, and slowly drifted to the floor.

I picked it up, obviously, and examined it: for someone to be able to throw it through the window at that height... It was incredible.

It looked like an ordinary paper airplane: crooked wings, refolded lines and a flattened tip. However one difference was the pencil markings on the wing, telling me to open it.

So, of course, I followed the mysterious paper's instructions.

And inside... Was words. But words that I didn't quite understand: strange symbols that sparked some form of recognition littered the white page, hurried and messy.

But, out of everything, that wasn't the strangest part. Not even the small smiley face at the bottom of the page, not even the fact that someone would have had to fly to perfectly sail this paper into the second story window, practically pristine in the way it was done.

No, the strangest part was that Erika was silent. Erika was never silent.

With Erika, there was always a looming presence in my mind, but now... It was empty. It was like xir was completely gone, or never existed in the first place.

I was... Alone.

Trying everything to figure out what this.. what these symbols meant, I heard faint voices - I thought they belonged to Erika at first.

But then, I realised they were my mother's, calling up the stairs. When I turned around, I saw Tommy, phone held level with his face - camera towards me.

I just couldn't ignore how he smirked in the worst way possible.

There wasn't much else to do, however, as mother came up the stairs and began to bombard us with questions: why weren't we downstairs yet? What was taking so long? The food was going cold, for Christs sake!

When I spun around to Tommy, again, to see how he was reacting, I saw no phone, but something running down his face. Something... Red?

"What..?" I still hadn't returned back to reality, so I didn't recognise that my mother was yelling at me, before she was dragging me into her room.

Then, I knew I was in deep shit. But for what?

"Why would you do that, Toby?" It may have been the use of my real name - or the fact that she was bright red in the face and obviously very angry - but that snapped me right back to the present.

"Do.. What?" I had to ask, because I well and truly had no idea.

"Why, Toby, would you think it was an excellent idea to punch our guest?" she thundered: I'm pretty sure the door shook.

"But I didn't -"

"Well someone did, and you happen to be the only other person in this house, so unless he did it himself - which why would he? - YOU must have done it!"

Considering the fact that it was actually quite possible Tommy have himself a nosebleed, I suddenly hated the little git just a bit more than five minutes ago.

"Mother, I didn't hurt him, I swear!" I yelled, finally able to make a break in her words and get my point in. "I was reading this letter!"

When I showed it to her, her face dropped, and she went a very ghostly shade of white.

She said nothing, only nodded, and told me all was forgiven.

And, she told me never to ever show that letter to anyone again.

-

Dinner was in fact cold. As in it had to be stuck in the microwave for a good few minutes before it was at a consumable temperature. The pasta was alright, but confused and starving me felt like it was the best sustainence on the planet.

My, as the meatballs rolled down the spaghetti, I knew I had peaked in life.

Soon, the whole plate was gone. Tommy was just about finishing his.

"Hey Tommy.. I can wash yours up as well." I said this mainly because I still felt absolutely terrible for what happened earlier, with the stitches. Supposing this was my way of apologising, I should really work on an alternative method to do so.

"Sure..." so he just left it on the table. But then he returned to his plate, picked it up, scraped all the food onto the floor, before dropping the plate which then smashed into hundreds of tiny ceramic pieces.

Oh, sparkling.

It didn't take me long to actually clean up the floor, as the mind leech residing in my frontal lobe decided to work their magic. When xir had also returned, I wasn't sure, but they sure took their sweet time.

Where even were you? I asked as Permission To Dance blasted through my headphones. Currently I sat in the living room, listening to music as I did random and sporadic research into these symbols on the letter - Erika was no help at all, of course.

I can't say, Bee Boy.

Yeah, but you literally never disappear like that: is everything okay?

Yes everything is fine. Erika responded rather too quickly, but I decided not to press it; we both knew that nothing good ever came out of prying into each others' businesses.

Whatever. Can you please help me with this?

Absolutely not.

And then, they didn't respond to anything else I said, even when I offered to get xir favourite Haribos from the shop near our house.

Obviously that was strange, as who doesn't like a good Giant Strawb.

An hour or so later, mother came by the living room, thankfully less pale and holding a note. She wouldn't look me in the eye.

"Just read... This," she stuttered, eyes fixated on an old lamp in the corner.

So I did, but what I saw made no sense. However, a chill was still sent down my spine regardless.

On the crinkled page - fold lines similar to the note I currently held as well - lay three words.

Wait for Tomorrow.

-

A/N

AHh, suspense

I hope you enjoyed this chapter! Thank you again so much for 100 reads, it really means a lot to me.

I also hope you get the song reference? Any multifandomers here today?

Have a good rest of your day!