Chapter 14 // Coffee and Cake

A/N

Speedrunning the writing, let's goo.

Also, proud of Tommy for his 196 swears in mcc 15 <3

Triggers:
- Swearing

-

It was bright and somewhat warm by the time we had made it to the local cafe. Not many people were around, considering it was seven am. It was also a Saturday, so everyone was probably sleeping for once.

Wil walked through the door first, and a little bell tinkled above him. Tommy followed next, then I entered and let the door swing shut.

The cafe was small, and empty. Yet, it was perfect and sweet. A pale blue paint coated one of the walls, block printed fish in darker blue hues patterning it. Adorning this feature wall lay multiple paintings from different artists. The other walls were cream, and held shelves full of shells, awards the cafe has received and small pots - the kind used for tea. I think they were for decoration? They were never actually used.

I quite enjoyed this cafe, I came here often: it was my mother who first introduced it to me. My first date with an old girlfriend was actually here, and she said she loved the place too.

So it came as a surprise when I stood at the pale blue counter, and saw no Erin. Erin was the usual cashier here, and every single time I had bought coffee, he was there.

Today he wasn't, and this concerned me. Was he sick? Erin was the only one who really tolerated me.

From the back came a pink haired girl - Niki. She also worked here, but only did part time shifts from what I could tell.

"Hey Niki! How have you been?" I greeted. She seemed a little worn out, more than usual anyways. She was quite a busy person, but she looked even more tired than usual.

"Been good, exhausted though. I've been training a new person to replace Erin."

"Replace him, why?" He loved this place, why did he leave?"

"He went off to college in Manchester. Obviously he can't work both here and study up North." Niki sighed.

"Oh, well good for him." Erin had talked a lot about how he wanted to go to university. Makes sense that he went to Manchester, it's a really good school.

"Yeah, anyways would you there like to take a seat?"

Tommy and I nodded, and began to walk to a glass table with drift wood legs. A plaque on the side said that it had been crafted by a local wood turner.

When we realised that Wil hadn't followed, we turned back to him. He was stood at the counter still, making polite conversation as he wrote something down on a piece of paper. Niki smiled as she took it, blushing slightly.

Then Wil made his way over to us, say down and smiled. No matter how hard Tommy tried to weasel some form of information out of him, Wil's expression remained stoic, and he silent.

Eventually Tommy gave up, huffing and crossing his arms.

"Wilby, you're no fun."

"Did you just call me Wilby?" I chuckled at Wil's shock, and Tommy's embarrassment.

"Hello, do you guys know what you would like to order?" I froze, slowly turning to the deep voice who had spoken.

Ranboo.

Tommy smiled widely, but stopped when he saw my expression.

"Yes!" Wil, obliviously said.

Ranboo turned to him first, to which he wrote down what Wil wanted.

Next Tommy spoke, slightly apprehensive. Lastly it was my turn, but before I could speak, Tommy interjected for me.

"He'll have the hazelnut Carmel latte, with three sugars and a slice of the carrot and walnut cake." Wait, he remembered? But that was so long ago!

My mind briefly flashed back to when we were in the park near my house, lying side by side in the dewey grass.

"So, Tubbo." Tommy had asked. "If you were to have a cup of coffee right now, what would you have?"

"Hmm.. I would say a cappuccino... No! A hazelnut Carmel latte. With three sugars, and if they have cake, I would usually get a carrot and walnut cake." I answered, now smiling at the prospect of cake.

"Oh nice! I think I would go for a mocha with marshmallows, and probably some red velvet cake. A bit of a strange combo, but my mother always makes the best cake, and I often make mochas, so naturally I love those two together!"

"Oh yeah, your mother's cakes are the best!"

For about ten minutes, the three of us made gentle conversation about whatever came to mind. Soon, Ranboo returned, and placed a slice of chocolate cake in front of Wil, and a Carrot and Walnut cake in front of me. After disappearing, the taller one came back with a tray and another plate of cake - red velvet.

In front of me, a large was placed. Wil had a pot of tea, and Tommy had a mocha.

Maybe he didn't change that much.

Maybe Tommy was the same as he always had been, and it was me who was the strange one... No, Tommy and changed. But maybe not as much as I originally thought?

Tommy has a weird attitude for me to wrap my head around. He was perfectly sweet - lest a little annoying - before xe appeared. But then... He turned really sour. Was it sourness?

"Penny for your thoughts?" Tommy's voice caught my attention.

"I was just thinking..."

"About?"

"You." I looked down as I spoke, trying to figure out how to phrase this.

"Oh?"

"What happened?" I asked bluntly. "What happened between us?"

"What do you mean, Tubbo?"

"Well," I began, "I mean, why did you start to hate me so much?"

"Honestly... I don't know. That's a shit excuse, but... But there was no definitive reason." I believed him.

"Well... Can we go back to how we were before?"

"To when we were friends?"

"Yes." I answered resolutely.

"Of course." We both gave each other honest smiles, as Wil just smiled his cake.

-

A/N

clingy duo friendship rekindling!!

I hope you enjoyed this chapter, remember if you have any questions, you can always ask!

See you guys next time! (AND THANKS A TON FOR 700 READS - AT TIME OF WRITING!) (NOW 830 AT POSTING!!)

-

Word Count: 1053 Words

-