Chapter 8

Xander winnowed them onto the top of a tall, rickety staircase - for a moment they stood in silence, hands entwined as Fiona looked around. "Where are we?" she asked. Xander slipped his hand from hers and stepped onto a small landing to their right. "The townhouse." was the most explanation he gave, beckoning her toward a small wooden door. It swung inward to reveal a bedroom - cramped and cluttered with old toys and paintings, but cozy. Quaint.

"You're welcome to stay the night here, if you'd like." He looked a little embarrassed, though Fiona couldn't tell why. The room was bigger than her own at the Forest House. Perhaps some of the dusty children's toys had been his, she wondered, suppressing a thin-lipped smile.

"I'm sorry I can't offer you something more comfortable," he reached a bronze hand to scratch at his neck, the tip of a tattoo peeking out from underneath his shirtsleeve. "But I can promise you there's no safer place."

Fiona smiled her thanks. The red-roofed houses of Velaris surrounded a small garden below, terracotta tiles glowing warmly in the light of the setting sun. She could almost feel the sea breeze kissing her cheeks as it rustled the trees outside, dancing playfully over the rooftops. By the time she'd worked up the courage to ask him, Xander was already watching her, a knowing smile on his lips.

"It is still early." he acknowledged, his eyes twinkling.

Fiona felt her heart swell at the prospect of strolling through the city of starlight once more. "Is that ok? I mean, is it allowed?" she asked. 

Xander blinked. "Of course it's allowed." he said simply. "Besides, you've already seen it."

She couldn't hold back a beaming wide smile. The Prince chuckled quietly, leading the way down a staircase to where voices drifted from below. They walked in step, passing beneath painting after painting along elegant but threadbare carpets. Every space in the house seemed worn, well-loved, and a little cramped, but Fiona loved it, loved the lived-in feeling of the rooms.

Xander paused at the top of a final set of stairs which led to a small hallway. This was where the voices had been coming from, she realised, as her eyes fell upon a cluster of High Fae stood around the door, some with faces she recognised, and some she did not.

"You've become so dull since you had kids." A velvety voice caught Fiona's attention, a voice she'd heard at the palace earlier that day. Her eyebrows raised as the bodies cleared to reveal Zayde, High Lady of the Summer Court, lounging gracefully against a coatrack. She was even more beautiful up close, her dark hair coiled tight against her face, and far more radiant without Summer's crown to distract from those bright blue, almond-shaped eyes. Fiona hadn't realised she was staring until Xander was two steps below her, clearing his throat.

The sound drew the attention of the others, who fell into a hushed quiet as the pair descended. "Fiona." Belladonna pushed her way forward, grinning. "I'm glad to see you here again." Fiona was surprised at the warmth in her eyes, surprised to see that she meant it. "Are you coming out with us?"

Fiona looked to Xander for confirmation. "Don't look at me." He laughed - actually laughed. And the sound suited him, although it seemed strange to her at first. "It's your choice. Though I should warn you," he leaned closer, his breath tickling her neck. "Going drinking with this lot is about as dangerous as those foxes waiting for you at the palace."

Fiona's eyes lit up. "You didn't mention we were drinking."

The room laughed and Bella clapped a hand on her shoulder. "I knew I liked you!"

But Fiona felt a little tremor down her back as Rhysand's firstborn stepped forward. Though she'd seen him at the summit, Nyx was something more wicked to behold up close. If his brother was beautiful, then Nyx was devastating – and from the way he held himself, the tilt of his chin and the arrogant ease with which he moved, it was clear that he knew it.