Chapter 30

The morning of the Nynsar ball snuck up on the Forest House. As though anticipating the apprehension surrounding its arrival, day crept over the horizon, unnoticed by the waning moon whose place it took, and quietly bled colour across the sky in gentle strokes of peach. By the time the sun broke over the forests of the Autumn Court, Fiona was already in the kitchens, soothing her nerves with the scent of baking bread and the rhythmic kneading of dough.

It was upon this scene that Scilla stumbled when she arrived. She watched Fiona humming to herself as she worked for a few minutes before finally announcing herself.

"You're up early."

Fiona cast a grin over her shoulder before returning to her industry. "I'm always up early." Grabbing a large wooden paddle, the fae reached into the wood fire oven, retrieving two perfectly dusted rolls that she wrapped in linen and placed on the counter. "I thought you had today off?"

Scilla blinked, moving to her side. "I do. But I wouldn't let you leave without saying goodbye."

Fiona slowed, her hands resting in a small mountain of flour. Logs snapped at the back of the oven as Scilla gave her a sad smile, leaning her head down to rest on her friend's shoulder.

"I am very glad I met you, Fiona Vanserra."

Scilla heard a sniff and felt the shoulder twitch beneath her. Slowly she stood straight, and found Fiona with a strange look on her face. As she watched, her friend turned suddenly and grabbed her hands, dusting them with flour and little bits of dough.

"Come with me," she implored, hazel eyes boring into her red ones. Scilla was already shaking her head, but Fiona persisted. "Come to the Winter Court. You can be my handmaiden, or live in a nearby village, or- I don't know, anywhere except here!"

"I've set up a life for myself here," she tipped her head to the side, a cascade of dark coils tilting with it. "And your uncle really isn't so bad, Fiona. He pays his servants-"

"Kidnaps their children, starves and murders villagers," Fiona finished, raising an eyebrow. "But no, you're right. Real hero of the people."

Scilla's full lips spread in a wide smile. "High Lords are much the same everywhere else." Fiona was shaking her head but Scilla only sighed, hoping for her friend's sake that her naivety wasn't challenged at her new home up north. "And besides," she swayed on her feet, nudging her elbow into her apron. "I'm tougher than I look."

Fiona couldn't help but answer Scilla's beaming grin with one of her own.  "I know you are." Dusting her hands, she folded the faerie into a hug, resting her chin atop her head between the curving horns. "But I'm still going to miss you very much."

A pair of small arms wrapped around her midsection and squeezed.

"Perhaps I can come and visit?" Fiona mused, her breath disturbing the dark coils of hair beneath her. Scilla pulled away, her eyes trained on the flagstone floor.

"A Lady of the Winter Court come to visit a servant girl?" she shook her head, fiddling with her fingers. "It won't be allowed."

Fiona pursed her lips but decided not to answer back. Though she was sure she'd be allowed more freedoms in Baird's house than her own, she wasn't stupid enough to promise anything. She herself had always said Baird was too naive - perhaps his father was the difference. In any case, only the Mother knew where their lives would take them now. Whether their paths would cross again.

Scilla looked up, red eyes set with a kind of gentle determination. "You take care of yourself, milady."

Rolling her eyes, Fiona let out a snort as Scilla began to walk away. "How many times must I tell you, Scilla - I'm no lady!"