Chapter 20

The moon rose high over the riverhouse that night, bathing the mansion in her eerie white light. The Sidra ran steadily beside it, illuminating the face of the house so that the grand doorway glowed, dancing on the faces of the Night Court's inner circle as they arrived.

Everyone Rhysand cared about was seated at his table that night, the faces of his friends and family stretching all the way down the polished marble. Azriel and Elain had returned from their mountain cabin, where they always hid when the court became overrun with visitors, even Amren had graced them with her presence. Though her daughter was, of course, already busy back at her own court, it seemed Varian could never miss an opportunity to sneak his paramour into a dark corner at these family events. Or was it the other way around-?

Wine from his cellars flowed all night. He had begrudgingly relinquished the good bottles at Mor's behest - since this feast was in celebration of her coronation, he could hardly refuse.

Cassian was already red in the cheeks by the time he called for a toast, raising his glass as their family fell silent. "The rest of Prythian has already had their chance to honour the Morrigan-"

"Oh sit down, you bumbling oaf!" Mor tugged at his jacket and he stumbled, spilling red wine all over Diana, who jumped up with a squeak to a chorus of laughter.

Cassian regained his composure with a grin, tipping what was left of his drink to Mor beside him. "Tonight, let's raise a glass to the new High Lady of the Spring Court. Long may she reign!" 

"Long may she reign!" 

The hall erupted in cheers and clinking silverware as Mor rolled her eyes. She didn't yet radiate with the strength and promise of a High Ruler, but Spring's land and titles were now hers. It wouldn't be long before its power followed - of that Rhys was certain.

When the cheers died down and conversation resumed, Mor caught his eye, smiling sadly. "I do love the Spring Court, truly," she sighed. "But this is the longest I've been home in so many years. I'll be sad to leave again."

"Cut the act, your ladyship," Cassian snorted, turning to his brother. "She'll be rushing back to see her lady lover tomorrow morning." he cooed. Rhys couldn't help a laugh as Mor aimed a sharp slap at Cassian's back that sent him spluttering wine all over the table.

"Really you two," Rhys smirked, waving a hand over his own shirt and the marble. The stains vanished instantly, though Mor looked as though she might be contemplating another blow. "For a Lord General and the Lady of Spring, you act like bickering children."

Feyre's dulcet voice caressed the inner walls of his mind. Speaking of children...

Rhys' attention wandered a few seats down as he caught the flash of silver in his peripheral. He glanced across the table to his mate, who raised an eyebrow. Your turn.

"Luna." Rhys called, catching a brassy head of hair from behind Bella, who laughed. 

"Sorry Uncle Rhys," she smiled, the effect much like her mother's coy smirk.  "I was only going to give her one cup."

"You don't have to cover for her Bella," Rhys chuckled. "I know Luna's more than capable of spinning her own machinations."

A pair of blue eyes popped up from out behind Bella, blinking innocently at her father. "It wasn't for me!" she protested, pouting. Her wings, which had folded to hide her sneaking, peeled back to reveal a silver goblet brimming with wine. "I was going to take it to Xander," Luna insisted. "He looks sad."