Chapter 7

The next day there was far less fanfare in the council hall. The attendants went to and fro as they pleased, and many milled around talking quietly, or else stayed beside their courtiers. The High Lords and Ladies were already seated by the time Fiona arrived, tailing the end of the Autumn party with bleary eyes. She gave her cousins a wide berth, refusing to look at Aidan as he took his place beside his father's throne. She knew he was watching her, but, determined not to show any of the whimpering girl from the night before, she kept her chin high and stared straight ahead as she passed him. Though her side ached with every twist of her torso, she would not wince, settling against the back wall in dignified silence.

Aidan dared to glance over his shoulder with a sharp-edged grin but Fiona was looking past him - to where Nyx was entering beneath the star-flecked archway, with Xander beside him. The Prince's eyes lingered on her for a moment before shifting to Aidan. She gave nothing away as he glanced between them.

Then Lord Helion stood from his throne with a brilliant white smile. "Let the proceedings begin."

Fiona spotted Riordan in a chair by his side, looking rather grumpy. She tried to catch his eye and failed as he yawned, resting his head in one hand with a scowl.

Something jabbed at Fiona's ribs and she swallowed a yelp, turning to find a leathery wing at her side. Belladonna greeted her with a smirk, evidently noticing neither her pain nor the courtiers around them, who shrank away at the sight of her.

"Looks like shit, doesn't he." She dipped her head in Riordan's direction. Fiona relaxed, allowing herself a small smile. 

"And I suppose he has you to thank for that?"

Bella's laugh was breezy. "Gods no," she replied. "Don't get me wrong, your cousin's a good-looking boy. But he's really not my type." She shared a grin with Fiona who shook her head. "Besides - he was very, very drunk last night."

Fiona raised an eyebrow and glanced at Riordan, practically falling asleep in his seat. "I don't doubt it."

Bella leaned back against the wall, folding her wings in behind her. Her eyes slid subtly to the younger fae. "You don't look like you slept much either," she noted with a wry smile, making her heart skip a beat. "Did you and Xander get better acquainted?"

Fiona almost laughed aloud at the absurdity of the suggestion. "Gods no!" She met Bella's silvery gaze and saw a twinkle of amusement. "To be honest with you, he scares me half to death." She remembered the way those glowing eyes had watched her, so still and careful, following her every movement. It was too close to another, more sinister gaze, and as the eyes turned black in her mind she blinked, blocking them out.

Bella nodded with something like respect. "Good." she turned her attention to the council meeting, where Morrigan and Eris were exchanging scathing looks as they quarreled. "If he scares you then you must be smart enough to see him. Most people think he's just Rhysand's second born – a prim and proper Lord's son."

Fiona looked up at the Night Court warrior. "And he's not?"

Bella shrugged. "Not to me. Not to the people that know him."

Fiona couldn't help but shiver as she imagined Xander without the formalities, the predator unleashed. "I don't think he trusts me." she ventured.

"It's his job not to trust you." Bella fixed her with a keen look. "He's the Prince of Velaris, and you're a member of another court – the Autumn Court, no less."

Fiona wanted to wince, to act like she was offended by such blatant disregard for the honour of her family. But who was she to protest? She had borne the brunt of their cruelty all her life – she likely hated them more than anyone.