Chapter 24

Two figures marched along the dark stone hallway, matching each other step for step, as though fearful the other might break into a sprint at any moment. Torches flickered along the wall, glinting on copper-plated armour and throwing shadows from every angle.

Fiona's pulse beat in time with her footsteps and the clap of the guard's steel-tipped boots on the stone. No hallway had ever felt so long, no passage twisting so wickedly as the one preceding the stairs to the ground floor.

"A certain High Lord's son has come to see you..."

Almost without thinking, she leaped to the first step, and heard Eris' guard behind her grunt as he shuffled clumsily in his armour, trying to keep up. It jerked her mind back to the sound of his chuckle only moments before as he stood in the kitchens, smug as hell and bold as brass.

"He said that might get you moving."

Fiona couldn't summon the will to be angry at the barb Eris had given his knight, didn't want to give herself time to consider just how much he knew this news would get to her. All of her energy was focused on the male waiting for her upstairs, her mind racing as she tried to picture the scene. He'd be in the drawing room - guests usually were. Her mind raced ahead faster than her feet could carry her, painting the scene she would discover.

Yes, there he was, sitting in an armchair in the corner, still and silent, as though he would melt into the shadows entirely if he could. Would his elbow be crooked against the arm rest, like it had that one afternoon-? Or would he be perusing the shelves, calloused fingers running along dusty tomes that hadn't seen the sky in centuries.

Her heart began to race as she turned a corner into the main hallway, trying to piece his face together from the memories she had so carefully hidden away in the recesses of her mind. Like a child digging through a treasure trove, Fiona reached for pieces of the puzzle she had skimmed over, rediscovering locks of hair and shades of indigo that lingered somewhere still.

Blood was roaring in her ears and the knife pressed hot against her chest beneath her corset; the guard had fallen behind now, he was grumbling something but she couldn't hear him over all the rushing.

Swerving instinctively, Fiona reached the drawing room and saw that her guess had been correct - two more of Eris' knights were stationed beside the grand golden doors. They stood to attention as she practically ran down the hallway, but she ducked past them to the side door, not wanting to be announced, not wanting to wait.

One barked an order to wait but she was there, she was there and her fingers grasped the door as she swung herself inside, hair and dress swinging madly as she came to a halt and saw...

...white hair upon a slim set of shoulders. A pale blue jacket lined with fur. A young fae, standing in the middle of the room tapping his foot.

Oh.

"Fiona!"

Baird spotted her and turned, flashing a brilliant white smile as he strode across the polished wood to meet her. Fiona stared at him a little stupidly. She had been hoping for a fragment from her life up north, but this was not the right piece. Her eyes roamed over every feature of his countenance, the white embellishment on his tailored coat, the rosy blush on his cheeks, all the while unable to hold back one insistent, roaring thought:

Wrong.

A breath escaped Fiona in a kind of sigh as he reached for her hand.

"It's so wonderful to see you again," said Baird, his eyes glowing in earnest as he led her to a loveseat in front of the unlit fireplace.