Chapter 31

Traditionally, Nynsar was only a small festivity, with cuttings from the first spring flowers passed around as wine was drunk and tunes were struck. And considering how greatly the Spring Court had suffered in the last two centuries, most had expected this year's equinox to be much the same. But not one fae would have recognised Tamlin's old estate from the beauty and grandeur that the seasonal courts were invited to gawk at that night. 

Morrigan had spared no expense; from every tree was strung a floral canopy, dripping with lilac hyacinths that brushed the heads of the tallest guests, and blooming pink geraniums that fluttered delicately in the dusky breeze. Clusters of faelight glowed softly in their boughs, illuminating awe-struck faces as the courtly visitors strolled through the gardens. A winding path led them through elegant water gardens and beneath triumphant arches of rose bushes. The more cynical among the guests might have pegged it as a less-than-subtle demonstration of the Spring Court's newfound strength, but most were so wrapped up in the lavish decorations that they saw little past it. 

The path emerged eventually before a wide meadow with a great marquee at its centre, the silk twisted between climbing vines of ivy. Far humbler - but equally exquisite - wildflowers were carefully stepped around by the many guests as they approached, bluebells and daisies brushing at the bare ankles of the ladies who passed them, giggling like girls in the fields of their youth.

Grinning guests and murmurs of delight surrounded Fiona, but by the time she reached the marquee she was in a foul mood. Only Eris could do that, she thought to herself. Only he could take the sparkle out of the stars, the shine out of her dress. His voice rang in her ears, dulling the hues of every petal, making the strings that had begun to play fall a little flat. 

"I raised you better than to believe in fairytales, Fiona."

 An involuntary scowl planted itself on her face as Fiona craned her neck to peer above the crowds. A dancefloor had been cleared and was beginning to fill as the band struck a lively tune, waiters in green satin waistcoats wove between the guests and everywhere jewellery and extravagance fought to catch her eye. But no white hair, no eyes of pale blue sought her out in the crowds. 

"Enjoy your happy-ever-after."

The silver-inlaid rubies weighed heavy on her chest as Fiona scanned the space. The night was still young - many of the guests had yet to arrive, she reasoned. Baird would be here soon. And in the meantime, there was-

The crowds parted and Fiona locked eyes with Eris across the room. His spine was stiff, and when she saw the fae he was stood with, she realised why. Another figure shifted to reveal the High Lady Morrigan, her golden locks tumbling down to her waist, her lips stained with a deep scarlet cream. As she watched, her gaze passed from Eris to Fiona, upon whom her brown eyes widened to the size of saucers. The trio stood staring for a moment, each as still as the summer winds, before Fiona found the nerve to scowl and walk out of sight. 

In the meantime, there was the bar. 

Courtiers and cousins were scattered around the throng, each sparing Fiona little more than a disdainful glance as she stomped toward the towering fountains of faerie wine at the end of the marquee. Once or twice, a kind-faced fae would stop to remark on the beauty of her dress, or gasp at the rubies around her throat. Fiona thanked them, blushed, and moved on, trying to ignore the pressing weight of necklace with every minute that ticked by. 

Heading to an empty corner of the bar, Fiona snatched a deep glass from behind the counter and filled it at the fountain of rushing wine. Her gaze snagged on the endless rows of bottles behind the bar, the deep purple liquids and squat bottles of faeblood that cast her mind back to Velaris, and her one night of peace at Rita's before the crack of broken ribs shattered the few dreams she had left to cling to. That was all it had taken - one broken bone had sounded her fate, sealing her to the Autumn Court forever.