Episode 4

Derek felt the soft brush of red hair against his face as he reclined on a thicket of grass and waited for Melissa to arrive

Derek felt the soft brush of red hair against his face as he reclined on a thicket of grass and waited for Melissa to arrive. Lydia, of course, sat comfortably in front of him between his legs, and as she talked animatedly with Allison, her hair tickled his skin. Usually he hated it, the unwarranted sensation, but she wore him down with her insistence on being in his personal space.

It was very much like his last girlfriend, Kate. She was beautiful, too. Her locks were golden rather than strawberry colored, but the overconfidence from both women were just the same. Except, it wasn't. Derek knew Kate truly loved herself as much as she loved him, whereas in Lydia's case, the girl was full of self-doubt. She wouldn't admit it, but it was there in her eyes and hesitancy. That was a large reason behind Derek's acceptance of her pushy ways.

If he denied her, what would she do? Would she resort to cutting again? He had seen how her green eyes had welled up as she admitted her faults in group. He couldn't let himself hurt her, if there was even a remote chance that she would relapse. As he thought about it, it was a lot more like his relationship with Kate than he initially considered. She had worn him down over time too.

Kate was different, though, special. She walked into class on the first day of his freshman year, demanding attention from her students without even opening her mouth. It was in her stride and sharp eyes. The class quieted, instantly. Derek couldn't help but stare.

It was Kate's first class too, as a teacher, but unlike her nervous freshman, she didn't show it. Derek instantly admired that, although he was certain he never told her. Kate knew, regardless. She knew everything. Mere months into her becoming his favorite teacher, things took a turn, he would argue, for the better.

She held him up after class one day, told him in a more private tone than her usual briskness that she couldn't believe he was only in ninth grade. Derek beamed back. It continued like that for a while; just small inappropriate comments, mostly from her when no one was around to see it. That was until after the holidays.

Derek had tried out for basketball and was thrilled to be the only freshman on the varsity team. His parents were incredibly proud, too. Everyone in his family was committed to attending his first game. Kate was there as well. Derek glanced occasionally in her direction and gave her the biggest smile after sinking a three pointer.

His uncle, Peter, had offered to take the family out to celebrate his first victory. But when Derek exited the changing room it was to an empty hall, except for Kate who leaned against a locker in her fitted jeans and school pride shirt pulled tight to accentuate her curves. She looked more like a student than teacher at that moment. Derek sprinted up to her and asked if she saw him make that final basket. She smiled wide and nodded.

Derek turned to leave, knowing that he was keeping his family waiting, but she leaned forward and placed a hand on his bicep to still him. He hesitated. Kate leaned in closer - she liked to press upon his personal space.