Episode 21

"How long are you going to keep this up?"

"...."

"It's been over three weeks already Stiles."

"..."

"I know it's on me, my fault, but d— I'm sorry! Okay?"

"..."

This was the sixth counseling session John had had with a completely silent Stiles and once again the teen sat with his arms loosely crossed and shoulders slumped down in his seat. The only time he perked up was when John spoke about his stepfather's arraignment.

The— sorry excuse of a man pleaded guilty to the multiple counts of child pornography and distribution which was indisputable given the evidence. The prosecution didn't offer a deal and as a result the defense team claimed to be not guilty in the child maltreatment case. Fortunately Simon will continue to serve time until the trial can take place. And more importantly for Stiles, the prosecution requested a victim impact statement to be included in the sentencing, should the judge find the man guilty. John couldn't imagine any judge would dare to deny Stiles the right. Choosing to confront one's perpetrator is a very brave thing to do indeed. It's something that many victims are too terrified to even consider and given these circumstances could be quite cathartic for Stiles' healing process.

"Unfortunately, I don't have anything else to add in the case of your stepfather's trial but I will continue to keep you updated, as you originally requested." John paused. "You do still want to be involved, correct?"

Stiles narrowed his eyes, unwilling to break his vow of silence to answer the question.

"Stiles— I— please, it's been nearly four weeks."

His student raised an eyebrow.

John blew out a deep breath. "You remind me so much of him, you know, my— son. He was stubborn, too."

Stiles still didn't say anything.

"—And he would have been incredibly disappointed in me as well. I—um, I wasn't at my best, when he— " John swallowed thickly as he considered his wording. "My wife left me— left us both but that's not an excuse, and— I wasn't home a lot, it was just the two of us, Brandon and me, I told you all how he— died. But I didn't really go into the details. While my son was struggling with his addiction to opiates I spent nearly every night drowning my own sorrows in alcohol. I missed all the signs, I was a police officer, and yet I couldn't see that my own son was addicted to narcotics. Looking back— it was so obvious. I should have known..."

"Melissa— bless her, she— she was a nurse. She's had countless ER patients coming in looking for a prescription to settle their fix. Had she considered it, she probably would have realized what my behavior indicated... But, sometimes— sometimes it's really difficult to see what's right in front of you, when, in your heart you don't want to accept it." John searched Stiles' eyes to make sure the student was following along despite his refusal to speak up.