Episode 14

"Yes

"Yes... I understand— I know, we will definitely reschedule." John was already rubbing a temple with one hand as he clutched the office phone with his other.

It was barely past eight in the morning and he had already spent over an hour talking with various caseworkers and lawyers regarding Stiles. Unfortunately, he had missed a conference call with the school's proposed new investor during the retrieval of Melissa's students and was stuck working out the details of the future call with his feisty secretary. Deucalion's firm had already 'donated' the materials for the recently rebuilt fence. It wouldn't do for John to linger much longer without signing the contract.

Fortunately, he was interrupted from having to placate Kali any further by a knock at his door. "I'll get back with you as soon as I can— by noon, your time, promise! Okay, got to go— yep, goodbye!"

John allowed himself a minute of silence before he opened the office door. It was Stiles.

"Thank you for coming," John began. "I take it you've finished breakfast? Feel better with a couple of proper meals in you now?"

Stiles nodded once.

"Take a seat. Melissa will be joining us soon, but I'm a little crunched for time so we can begin without her. We've heard Lydia's version of events and now I'd like to hear yours."

Stiles sighed and dove in. He started with not being able to sleep and deciding to walk the school grounds to clear his head when he ran into Lydia. He told John that it wasn't planned, and he had initially only followed her to stop her. Stiles explained his thought process about returning to the school but choosing to stay with Lydia once he saw the headlights and he explained his fear of letting her go alone with the stranger.

"—I just, I've been there, you know. Lydia was so optimistic and so blind to where hitchhiking could lead. I figured if I went too then this guy would at least have to fight off both of us. I know I shouldn't have, but what if something had happened to her?" Stiles rambled. "What if I stayed here and the next time we saw Lyds, it was in a bodybag? And trafficking girls is no joke, she could have easily been mixed up in a ring, she's pretty, like really pretty! They would have drugged her and—"

"Okay." John held up a hand. "Those are all possibilities, but Stiles, what if the next time we saw you, you were in a bodybag? You could have been drugged and sold or an infinite number of other horrible outcomes. The fact is you are both incredibly lucky that something worse didn't happen and your safety is just as important to us as Lydia's."