Episode 20

There was nothing quite like spring-fresh mountain air

There was nothing quite like spring-fresh mountain air. Melissa reminded herself of that fact when she took a deep breath and pasted a smile on her face as she continued welcoming the visiting team's entourage. She waved vehicle after vehicle past the already packed parking lot and had them lining up their cars in neat little rows on the grass in front of the office. With Davenford Prep being as close as they were she had expected a large crowd, but the lawn was quickly becoming alarmingly full. It would seem the lacrosse team had doubled, if not quadrupled the amount of spectators that the basketball team usually brought in.

Keeping a watchful eye on all of her students would be difficult but it was proving to be even more so because John had happened to have had scheduled a doctor's appointment earlier that day. So far, the head counselor was not among the incoming traffic and that fact had Melissa a little worried, too.

Of course that was when a flustered looking Parrish jogged over. "Mel, where going to have to start parking them along the east side fence, like we did during the marathon, there won't be enough room for the cars to back out if we add another row here."

"Sure, sure," Melissa sighed. "I'll start sending them that way."

She turned back around and squinted through the dust that was kicked up by a new set of vehicles filing in. John wasn't amongst them either and with a heavy heart she started to direct the traffic towards the eastern fence.

A black Camaro tried to break past the line of redirected cars but Melissa, who's patients were wearing thin, was quick to stop the enthusiastic young lady from forming her own parking spot. She wished she was more prepared for this situation, or better yet, that John was here, as she was sure he would have had a plan of action for hosting such a large crowd...

 She wished she was more prepared for this situation, or better yet, that John was here, as she was sure he would have had a plan of action for hosting such a large crowd

"Good morning."

"It's like six p.m."

"In less than an hour, aircraft from here will join others from around the world. And you will be launching the largest aerial battle in this history of mankind."

"What?"

"Mankind -- that word should have new meaning for all of us today. We can't be consumed by our petty differences anymore. We will be united in our common interests."