Chapter 5

Turns out it's impossible to even attempt to win someone over when you can't get anywhere near them. Barnes has thwarted any attempt I've made tonight to get close to him. Although I have to admit I haven't been trying all that hard. There's something about him that unnerves me. Maybe it's the way he watches me. Despite it being obvious that he's doing his best to avoid me and John like the plague, that doesn't mean I haven't noticed the way his eyes have followed me. But he isn't watching me the way I see the other men do here, as if they're attempting to undress me with their eyes. No, Barnes stares at me as if he's hoping he can force my heart to stop beating through sheer thought alone. The man clearly doesn't like me, and he'll be happy to know the feeling is mutual. But I notice he gives the glare to basically everyone, so it might not be entirely personal.

When it is time to take our seats for the meal, I watch Barnes as he makes his way over to his assigned seat at one of the many tables. I'd never admit it out loud, but he looks good. He's chosen a tailored black suit and bow tie combo, and it fits to his body perfectly. Unlike most of the men, he's not chosen to come clean shaven. His stubble has a week's worth of growth to it. I can definitely see why he was such a ladies' man back in the 40s. That's working on the assumption he had more than one expression back then. I'm not sure the death glare would've been a good seduction technique.

Whilst Barnes has done a great job avoiding me so far, the jokes on him because John prepared for that. He takes his seat, drink in hand and glances at the place cards beside him. I already know what he'll find; the one on his left is blank, but the one to his right will show the name Alex Flint. Credit where it is due, John really thought of everything. See, Barnes is likely to know my name is Alexis Walker and would recognise that. Alex Flint would sound like it could be any man in this room. He won't know Alex is John's go to shortening of my name, which I have always hated. Flint is my maiden name, which I also hate. It's my father's surname, and I've never wanted anything from that man. The best thing he ever did for me as a parent was die.

When it is time for John to go take his seat next to the Secretary of Defense, he kisses me on the cheek as a goodbye. Somehow I resist the urge to wipe it away as I make my way over to my seat next to Barnes. He's staring down at his glass, that near constant scowl still on his face.

"Is your face stuck like that, Barnes, or are you truly just miserable twenty-four seven?" I quip as I drop into the seat beside him and pick up the champagne flute waiting for me. The look on his face is so priceless that I have to stop myself from laughing. He quickly schools his expression back to one of complete nonchalance. But it feels good to know I've gotten to him, if only for a moment.

"Princess, what could us peasants have done to deserve you coming to sit amongst us?" His disdainful gaze falls to me for only a moment before he looks over at John. "Shouldn't you be sitting up there with your keeper... Sorry, I mean, husband?"

Truly, I detest how easily he has assessed mine and John's marriage. Why can't he see what everyone else does when they look at us?

"What and deny you the pleasure of my company? Never." I flash him what I hope passes for a sincere smile before taking a small sip of champagne. It seems I need to keep reminding myself that I'm here to charm the man, not insult him. It's not my fault that he makes the second so much easier.

He glances at the place holder before looking over at me.

"Alex Flint?" He says it like a question.

"The one and only." I reply.

"You don't really strike me as an Alex, Princess."

"No?" I look over at him, not willing to admit that he's right. I've always hated that shortening of my name. Part of me thinks that is why John still insists on using it. "What are you basing that on? The whole five minutes we've spent together?"