Chapter 40

It's funny how over time, little by little, the things that once annoyed Bucky are becoming more bearable. That loud, buzzing alert his phone makes every time a message comes in, it used to grate on his nerves, but now he listens out for it. Even the loud ringing of an incoming call doesn't have him gritting his teeth anymore.

He welcomes both because they have the potential to be Alexis. True, she's yet to call him, preferring to stick to text, but he holds out hope. Bucky's unsure of most things when it comes to her, but he's certain his baby steps approach is working.

The possibility of looking at his phone and seeing her name is why he doesn't mind when his phone rings in the living room, interrupting his work. But when he finally gets to it and looks down at the screen, the name he sees is Sam's, not hers.

Bucky must be changing because his usual instinct to ignore all of Sam's calls isn't as strong today. In fact, his finger hovers between the two options for a second before he swipes to answer it.

"Hello," Bucky says, keeping his answer short and clipped, albeit a little less hostile than he'd usually be.

"I get a hello today. Who are you and what have you done with the moody asshole who usually answers this phone?"

"Fuck off, Wilson." Bucky says, immediately regretting picking up. "What do you want?"

"Ah, there he is." Sam jokes. "I can't make it tonight. To John's thing. My sister needs me, so I'm heading down to Louisiana."

"Is that all?"

Bucky could hang up. If this conversation were happening a few weeks ago, he wouldn't have even answered. But he pauses because he knows Sam wants to say more and for once he's willing to indulge him.

"No, that's not all." Sam huffs, then pauses, waiting.

They both know what he wants to talk about, but Bucky won't make it easy for him. If he wants to know, he's going to have to ask.

"Come on, man." Sam caves. "What happened with you and Alexis? I haven't heard from you since I called."

"That's because it's none of your business, Sam."

"What?" Sam asks incredulously. "In what world is it not my business? Who let you know when her asshole husband left the country? Was that not me?"

"Why do you even care?" Bucky asks, stalling rather than answering Sam's question. "You've been against this from the beginning. The sudden 180 is giving me whiplash."

"I was trying to help you when I thought I stood a chance at stopping you from getting in over your head. But, see, I'm way too late for that. You're fully submerged, my friend."

"You're annoying. You know that, right?" Bucky mutters.

"Whatever, Buck. Did you kiss and make up or not?"

"Bye, Wilson."

"Bu—"

He hangs up before Sam can finish whatever he was going to say next. Bucky hates the fact he ends the call with a smile on his face. Fuck, is Alexis right? Is he becoming friends with Sam Wilson?

Walking back towards the bedroom, he lingers in the doorway and surveys his hard work. He's just grabbing for the paint roller when he hears his phone chime with a text message. Bucky already knows who it is before he looks down.

Sam: Fine, you secretive bastard. I'll get it out of you, eventually.