Chapter 42

"What are you doing today?"

Our first phone call was six days ago and we haven't let a day go by since without speaking to each other. Whatever line we'd drawn that had stopped us until that point has officially been scrubbed away. Neither of us in any rush to redraw it.

All it takes is one message to let him know I'm alone and my phone will ring seconds later. They're not the toe-curling, orgasm-inducing type of phone calls like the first one was. I'd hazard a guess that Bucky's as eager as I am to make the next time we make each other come, be a time when we're in the same room, not down the end of a phone.

Bucky never tires of asking me questions, and I continue to answer them. He gives me pieces of himself in return. Stories from his childhood. Even stories about Steve and all the shit they got up to as kids aren't off limits any more. Some nights I've gone to bed with an aching stomach from laughing so hard.

It's only been six days, but I spend my whole day waiting for these phone calls. I hadn't realised how fucking lonely I was, but now I'm unsure how I'll cope if and when he's done indulging whatever this is between us.

"The best way you can spend a miserable day like this," I answer, glancing out the window at the rain that shows no sign of letting up.

"And how is that?"

"Curled up in a chair, with a blanket and a good book."

"Are you trying to tell me talking to me isn't the best way to spend a rainy day?"

"Yes," I tease. "You rank third. Behind that and lying in bed, binge watching a comfort show."

"Third. I rank third?" This time he at least attempts to sound hurt, though I can tell he's secretly smiling into the phone. "I'm heartbroken and a little offended, princess. You're really telling me they rank higher than me?"

"I mean, they're tried and tested, Barnes. They've never let me down before."

"I'll take your word for it," he grumbles.

"And what are you doing with your rainy day?"

"Nothing. Absolutely nothing. I'm sitting here, staring at the wall, wishing you were here so I could show you how many better ways you could spend a day like today."

"Do all these ways involve you and a bed?"

"Not all. Some include my shower, my couch, the wall, a couple include my table."

"Hmm, is that so?"

"Yes," he says, letting out a small puff of air that tells me he's frustrated. His next words aren't a surprise because we always end up here at some point. "I want to see you."

"I know," I say, pausing for a second before adding, "John's going away in a few weeks."

"That's not soon enough, Lex."

"I know that too. But it's the best we've got."

Bucky goes quiet, which doesn't surprise me either. It's how this has played out every single time it's come up over the last six days.

I'm still keeping my plans with Lemar to myself. A part of me worries that saying it out loud will jinx it and I'm not willing to risk anything going wrong. But if I'm honest with myself, I know I'm not ready for all the questions he'll have.

"So," Bucky says, breaking the silence, "what would you be binge watching if we weren't talking?"

"Depends on my mood. Maybe The Office."

"Is that on the list of about a thousand TV shows and movies you told me I 'just have to watch'?" he asks, imitating my voice on the last part. "You know, so that I can understand your 'stellar movie references'."