Chapter 33

Bucky

Patience has never been Bucky's strong suit, not where Alexis is concerned, but he's trying. With every new day that goes by that Sam doesn't call, it gets harder to standby and wait. There's been no calls or texts from her, which makes it worse. He said shit he didn't mean and potentially screwed up so badly that she may not even want to hear his apology. The longer he waits to see her, the worse he feels. Sleep doesn't come easy at the best of times, but it's a stranger now. Coffee is the only thing keeping him functioning.

The sleep deprivation might be part of the reason he's set a plan in motion he knows Sam won't approve of. But, hey, he told Bucky he needed his help with the Flag Smashers. Can he really complain about his methods if it works? On second thought, yeah, he probably can. Especially when the genius idea his tired brain came up with was helping a criminal escape prison.

Helmut Zemo can't be trusted, but Bucky is confident he can help them. It seemed it was worth the risk. Sam won't agree, but it's too late now; the plan is already in motion.

He opens up the messages he's exchanged with Sam over the last few days, debating whether or not he should send another one.

B: Any news?

S: I told you I'd call. Have I called?

B: Any news?

S: I told you I'd call. Have I called?

B: Anything?

S: Since you asked me 2 hours ago? No.

B: ?

S: If I hear something, I'll contact you.

B: Well?

S: Surprised you managed to wait so long.

S: And no. If I hear anything, I'LL CONTACT YOU!

B: Still nothing?

S: I preferred it when I thought you didn't have a phone.

B: ??

S: Don't make me block you.

Frustrated, he throws the phone back down on the couch, deciding against sending another one. The last thing he needs is for Sam to follow through on his threat and actually block him. Attempting to watch TV only keeps him distracted for another thirty minutes before he gives up and switches it off.

A pointless walk around the city might help keep him occupied for at least another hour—it's worth a try, at least. But he's halfway across the room when his phone rings and he dives across the room to grab it. He has the phone pressed against his ear before he's even checked to confirm it's actually Sam.

"Well?" That's all he can think to say, desperately needing to hear good news.

"Hello to you, too." Sam huffs out a laugh, not surprised by Bucky's abrupt greeting. "John should be on his way to the airport right now, and he won't be back for a few days. Now go apologise. Maybe buy some flowers. Really grovel, Buck. Goodbye."

Sam ends the call before Bucky can even thank him. The relief he feels is short-lived once the realisation hits that he now has to face her. He's not exactly a big talker, and he's worried he'll fuck things up worse by trying to make them better. But he has to try.