Chapter 12

If I thought the tension between John and me was bad before, it's nothing compared to the car ride to the gallery. We don't speak, don't acknowledge the other exists while we sit in the back together. When we pull up outside, I get out and make my way inside without even looking back to see if he's following.

Marty's gallery really is a beautiful space, even if I'm not an art aficionado myself. The downstairs is exactly what you'd expect. Wide open spaces, white walls covered in the latest art pieces he has, wide archways that lead through to the next exhibit space. The only downside is the lack of seating. This is going to be a night of mingling and cursing my choice in footwear.

My attention immediately goes to the floating staircase that leads to the upper level. Disappointment hits me when I see Marty has roped it off. It seems upstairs is out of bounds for this evening; a real shame. Upstairs has another bathroom and four other rooms, three of which are usually dedicated to a particular artist that Marty is showcasing. But it's the fourth room I escape to when I'm here. His office space that is more library than anything else, with the comfy seating you won't find anywhere else in this building. I've used that room to hide away from John more times than I can count.

"Lexie, darling!" Marty's singsong voice disrupts my thoughts and I see him coming towards me, dressed in one of the loudest suits I've ever seen. A yellow number covered in bright flowers. It takes a man with the confidence of Marty to pull it off, and pull it off he does. The bright suit complements his brown skin, and his face is lit up with that dazzling smile that is so Marty.

He reaches me but rather than pulling me in for his usual hug; he grabs my hands and holds me at arm's length. Looking me up and down, he nods his head in approval before giving me a mischievous smile.

"You naughty girl, in a dress like that, nobody is going to be looking at the art. I might have to send you home, darling." He winks at me and I laugh as he finally pulls me in for a hug, kissing me on both cheeks.

"Oh, you smell divine. What is that?" He says as he pulls away. "Is that... It's fruity. Cherries?"

"Yes, it's just my conditioner." I say, taking a deep breath in through my nose so it can hit me too. It's always been one of my favourite scents. "John hates it."

"Speaking of, how is the miserable bastard?" Marty glances round the room, spotting John talking to Lemar in one corner of the large room.

"Oh, you know John." I say dismissively. I've never been good at being honest about John to anyone. But sometimes I feel Marty sees right through him.

"That I do." He laughs, taking hold of my hand and guiding me over to John and Lemar.

As we make our way towards them, I take a moment to glance around the room. Struggling to recall the names of the people I see that seem vaguely familiar. The one thing I know is that I currently can't see Barnes. Unsure if he even bothered to come or not. Convincing myself that the sudden tightness in my chest is not disappointment. It is probably for the best that he didn't show up tonight.

While Marty greets John, Lemar pulls me in for a hug and asks how I've been. We fall into easy conversation, it's always that way with him. But, god, does it make me miss Tommy. They were so similar in a lot of ways. Two friends who seemed to pick up each other's habits and mannerisms. Both such big personalities, with those big wide grins they'd happily share with anyone. Not to mention that easy charisma that seems to draw people in.

Eventually John pulls Lemar back into conversation, and I take it as my moment to escape. All I want right now is a chair to collapse into. These heels were a big mistake. Wandering slowly around the room, I admire the art, pretending like I have even the slightest idea what some of the more abstract pieces are.