8 // zafira hates quenoor

The ship was infuriating. It pervaded every aspect of Zafira's once-peaceful existence. Now, everywhere she looked, Quenoor, as people had taken to calling them, was there. They made out graphically against buildings, they pressed up next to each other in class, and they even brought the antics into Dorm 14. Zafira could not stand it. On top of that, her support system (AKA Vincent) seemed to be depressed and miserable nonstop. They certainly made for a dynamic duo. Eeyore and the Grinch. The sheer power of their combined aggravation could ruin Christmas and every other day besides.

"Could you just break up with him already?" Zafira asked suddenly, setting down the beauty magazine she was supposed to have been reading.

Noor raised her eyebrows, glancing over from where she sat on her bed, feet tucked under her and a cupcake in her hands. "What?"

"Break up with him already," Zafira said again, frustrated. "I'm tired of this."

Noor snorted. "Bold of you to assume our relationship revolves around you."

Zafira scowled at her. "Face it - he's just another boytoy of yours. Dump him so we can all move on with our lives."

"Just another boytoy?" Noor repeated, expression angry. Zafira knew that she had crossed the line then. Rarely was Noor in such a state. "You're just jealous that I finally have something that has constantly evaded you!"

"Jealous?" Zafira asked with a brittle laugh. "Of you? In your dreams."

"As if I'd dream of you," Noor replied, taking an angry chomp of her cupcake.

Zafira bit back an amused smile. "Sorry, sorry. I didn't mean to fight."

Noor slouched a little. "Why do you always give up like that?" she asked. "Where's the fire in you? We used to be able to argue for hours."

"I give up because you never will," Zafira replied, returning to her magazine. She hesitated, then said, "Plus, I generally start the fights."

"Only 'cause I make you upset on purpose," protested Noor. Zafira looked up, her eyes finding Noor's earnest expression. Something twisted in Zafira's stomach. Then she cracked a small smile. Noor laughed. "Christ. I can't believe we've turned into such softies. I hate to admit it, but I think I'm actually beginning to like you, Zaffy."

"Don't call me that," Zafira said, annoyed again.

"Zaffy," Noor taunted. "Zaffy, Zaffy Zaffy."

"Zafira?" Noor asked into the darkness when they went to sleep several hours later. The way Noor said her name always felt special. Zafira hummed to let Noor know she was listening. Noor paused. "My theater club... Loxton's theater club is doing a play. I'm in it."

"Nice," Zafira said. She had never much understood Noor's obsession with theater.

"It's in two weeks," Noor told her. "I'm sure you're busy but if you aren't, maybe you could come."

Zafira's heart squeezed with the genuine sweetness of Noor's words. For once, there was no teasing edge or griping undertone, there was only simple honesty and a request that took definite guts to make. "I'll check my calendar," Zafira said lamely. Noor grunted the way she did when she was drifting off to sleep. Something in her was wary. If she got close to Noor like this, she might never get away.

---

quenoor lmao i'm so sorry i can't come up with ship names

i think i'm gonna publish a chapter once every two to three days from now on because, well, frankly, i'm quite lazy

in the meantime, i'm still updating my latest short story project (i know what you're thinking- yes i do have too many short stories posted) which is heterosexual BUT it's magical (!!!!) and really heterosexuality isn't the main focus... plus it's set in a ?fantasy world? that i might expand if people like it :3