11 // noor loves mornings

Noor generally loved mornings, but she hated this one. She hated waking up and opening her eyes and catching sight of Zafira. The girl looked like she hadn't gotten a wink of sleep - though that wasn't entirely unusual - and Noor wondered for a moment whether Zafira had been fretting over Noor's angry words from the previous evening. This thought was coupled with a stab of guilt when she saw the red mark on Zafira's face.

"You're awake," Zafira said without looking at Noor. Her eyes were on the book in her hands and her voice sounded more gravelly than usual.

"I am," Noor confirmed.

"You slept in," Zafira told her. "First period is in half an hour."

"Okay," Noor said, voice quiet. She got up, grabbing a change of clothes, and went into the bathroom. There, she showered quickly and changed. Noor swung her book bag over one shoulder and opened the door to the dorm room. She glanced back at Zafira, hesitating.

"I already went to the cafe," Zafira said, tone dull. Noor gave a quick nod and left.

Zafira wasn't in Philosophy class despite doing the homework rather than coming to Noor's play last night. It didn't worry Noor and it didn't bother her. A few missed assignments were sure to drop Zafira's grade well below Noor's near-perfect score. Quentin was waiting for her when she left the classroom, and she looped arm through his as they walked across the campus in the light November drizzle.

"I'm in a fight with Zafira," Noor said after a few moments of amicable silence.

Quentin snorted. "You're always in a fight with Zafira."

"In a real fight this time, though," Noor replied. "Not the usual pettiness."

"You don't seem fazed by it," Quentin commented.

"Should I be?" Noor asked. She shrugged. "I meant every word I said to her last night." When Quentin didn't reply, Noor asked, "Why would this fight bother me?" Quentin looked like he was struggling with whether to speak what was on his mind or to keep it inside. Noor rolled her eyes. "Just say what you're thinking."

Quentin hesitated, opened his mouth, closed it, and looked away. "It's nothing."

"What?" Noor asked, poking him. "Do you think I'm being mean?" Noor made a comical face. Quentin laughed a little. She unlinked her arm from his and spun around, walking backwards so that she could look at him. "Alas," Noor sighed, dramatic as could be. "Evil, wicked Noor is tormenting poor, sweet Zafira." Noor put a hand to her forehead.

Quentin shook his head, grinning. "Is it up to brave, dashing Quentin to save you from your own evilness?"

Noor sniffed, affronted. "Noor can save herself. However, brave, dashing Quentin is welcome to hand over his kingdom and make Noor a queen."

Quentin pressed a hand to his chest as though wounded. "Quentin is only a poor farmer. He has no wealth to offer to the many beautiful maidens of the land."

"Maidens?" Noor scoffed. "Sorceresses, witches, temptresses. Never maidens."

"Of course," Quentin agreed smoothly. "So what does that make Zafira?"

Noor tipped her head a little, considering. "I don't know. What does it make her?"

There was an odd look on Quentin's face when he suggested, "Perhaps your knight in shining armor?" Noor laughed, and Quentin smiled, but it didn't quite reach his eyes.

---

OH GOD IVE BEEN SO BUSY WITH SCHOOL

funny story so the irl vincent lookalike LITERALLY IS IN MY CLASS. this man. looks. exactly. like. vincent. it's crazy.

anyways. i've missed my sapphics, so enjoy this chapter. <3