Chapter 11

March 2, 2042

Beacon Academy
1250 hours

Cardin was piledrived into the ground. Pyrrha followed it up with a vicious backflip that kicked him into the air. He landed on his upper back knocking the air out of him. The lights in the arena came up and a buzzer went off.

"And that's the match," said Glynda.

"Lucky shot..." groaned Cardin before passing out.

"Well done, Miss Nikos. You should have no problem qualifying for the tournament."

"Thank you, professor."

"All right. Now, I know that's a tough act to follow," Pyrrha beating all of Team CRDL, "but we have time for one more sparring match. Any volunteers?" Glynda looked up into the stands and laid eyes on Blake who had her eyes glued to a book. "Miss Belladonna."

Blake looked up, quickly shutting the book and looking like a deer caught in the headlights.

"You've been rather docile for the past few classes. Why don't you-"

"I'll do it," said someone from behind Blake.

Glynda adjusted her glasses. "Mercury, is it? Very well, let's find you an opponent."

"Actually," said Mercury, "I want to fight her."

"Me?" said Pyrrha.

"I'm afraid Miss Nikos has just finished a match. I recommend you choose someone else." Glynda really didn't think Mercury stood a chance against Pyrrha. And she was mildly alarmed that anyone would want to fight Pyrrha after just witnessing her take down four huntsmen by herself. Was this boy crazy, arrogant, or... was he up to something?

"No! It's fine," retorted Pyrrha. "I'd be happy to oblige."

Mercury came down from the stands and sauntered into the arena. His approach was completely casual; he didn't look like he was worried at all about facing someone who could take on four opponents at once. He even smiled. This worried Emerald as she sat back in the stands. Was Mercury's brash talent going to betray them?

Mercury struck a guard. He waited a second and then charged. He released a vicious side kick that Pyrrha blocked and made a low slash to his lone, defenseless foot. Mercury fell, but recovered quickly, flipping and spinning away.

Pyrrha charged. She and Mercury went blow for blow, foot against sword and shield. Pyrrha saw an opening and pushed Mercury back with a strong shield charge. Mercury slid to a halt still on his feet. He made an impressed grunt and nodded.

Ruby turned to Emerald. "Hey. Your friend's doing pretty good."

Emerald forced a smile.

Mercury charged and released a barrage of his fanciest, highest, end-over-end kicks. Several made contact with Pyrrha's shield and she was forced to retreat. Mercury kicked against her shield several more times, but while Pyrrha blocked, she threw her sword behind her where it spun in the air somewhat unnaturally. Mercury noticed, as well as the small grin and glint in her eye as she blocked Mercury's next kick with her forearm.

Pyrrha caught her sword and tried to attack, but Mercury was faster and managed to kick it out of her hand. Having disarmed her, he felt he had the advantage and tried for a spin kick, but then he barely missed Pyrrha, her hand just beyond his foot, and he spun off balance.