Chapter 5

Sunday, April 25, 2004

~Brandy~

"Mily, take your church clothes off and change if you're going to play outside." I said as I started twisting Aleah's hair.

"Ok, what time is Daddy coming on tv again?" Amilyan asked as she put her hair up. Her hair has continued to grow like crazy. I just twisted her hair last night. Her hair is down her back as we speak. I get mad every time people ask if my baby is mixed. Black girls can have good hair, too.

"For the third time, he's coming on at 3:30. You excited to see Daddy?" I asked giggling. Terry and the rest of the Lakers are in Houston playing the Houston Rockets. Every once in a while, I would travel with Terry.

Since our big fight, we haven't really talked. The only way he communicates with me is through my mother. It seems like they talk day and night. I wonder if he's really fighting for our marriage.

I'm pretty sure he knows that I haven't been at our once "happily" home. I've been staying at my mom's. It wouldn't be the same if we weren't there as a family unit. It felt weird.

"Yes! I'm very excited."

"Go ahead and change clothes, baby." I said as I greased Aleah's scalp.

"Mommy, when are we going home? I miss my bed." Aleah said as she looked up at me.

"Mommy really doesn't have a—"

"Baby, you have a telephone call. An important one." My mom said as she peeped around the corner while wearing her kitchen apron.

"Ok, are you super busy? Do you mind greasing Aleah's scalp for me?"

"Sure. Get your things and come into the den, baby girl. Mommy is talking to someone."

Aleah nodded as she gave me a quick kiss before taking her bucket of hair bows and products with her to the den.

"Hello, this is Brandy."

"Hey, B. It's Ashley."

"Hey, baby girl. You okay? You sound upset."

"I need you to come get me, please. I'm at the bus station. It's hot and I feel really sick. Please." Ashley said as if she was in a rush.

"Ok, honey. Is it the one close to that Starbucks we took you to last time?"

"Yes. Please hurry."

"Ok, I'm on my way!" I said as I quickly hung up and walked quickly to find my mom.

We haven't seen Ashley in almost a year. She graduated from studying abroad with her major in communications and minor in journalism. She wants to work in the entertainment industry, but Terry thinks she should try to use her degree as a writer or reporter. He's trying to be an overprotective brother, but she has to live her life.

"Mom, I need you to watch the girls. I have to go get Ashley."

"Huh? I thought she was still living in Spain until another few months, baby?"

"I thought so, too. Terry never told me she was coming early. I'll go get her and see what's going on. She might've got a chance to have a break. I really don't know, but I'll be back. Um, Terry might be calling to check on the girls."

"Baby, let's talk when you get back home, ok?"

"Ok, Mama."

"I'm serious." My mom said as she kissed my hand. She had a serious facial expression. I knew at that moment that my mom might be serious.