Chapter 8

~Amilyan~

"Amilyan, what did you bring to lunch today?" My best friend, Chloe, asked as we sat down at our table in class.

We've just got done taking our math test.

The test was on fractions and I passed with a 99. I'm so proud of myself because my Mommy was a great tutor in fractions. I can't wait to show my Mommy and Daddy when I get home.

"I got a turkey sandwich, chips, granola bars, peaches, and some water." I said as I flipped my hair.

"That sounds yummy. Why aren't you eating from the cafeteria today?"

"I just decided to eat from ho—"

"Because her daddy sucks at basketball." Madison said rolling her eyes.

I didn't like Madison very much. Her and her friends are always mean to me because everyone likes to talk to me about my daddy.

"Leave my dad alone! Why do you always talk bout my daddy? I don't talk about yours!" I said folding my arms.

"That's why her daddy still ain't came back from the store with that nasty milk! Nana boo boo!" Chloe said as she rolled her eyes at Madison.

"That's why she don't look like her Mama or her Daddy! I bet her real parents are monkeys!" Madison said as she laughed, resulting in the other kids around us laughing.

"Settle down, children! What's all the fuss?" My teacher, Ms. Glenda, said as she walked into the classroom.

I held my head down. I already didn't feel good because of the medicine. Now, I feel ten times worse because some kids say mean things to me.

"Best friend, are you okay?" Chloe asked as she rubbed my back.

"I really want to go home, but I'll make it."

"Do you feel like you're having those shaky things again? If so, I will let Ms. Glenda know." Chloe said as she patted my arm.

"It's the pills I take. It doesn't make me feel good. My Mommy and Daddy said I got to get use to it." I said as I continued to lay my head down.

Ms. Glenda came towards me as she squatted.

"Hello, my friend. Are you feeling okay today?" Ms. Glenda asked as she rubbed my back.

"Ms. Glenda, why does Amilyan have those shaky things? It makes her weird." Madison said giggling as her friends laughed along with her.

"Hey! What we will not do in this classroom is bully each other. We do not make fun of someone else sickness. Amilyan has a disorder called seizures. An easier way, as you all call it, "shaky things". She has to take medicine to keep the "shaky things" under control. She can't help if she has an episode and has a seizure. Something could happen if she doesn't get the help she needs. That's why its important that we, as a class, make sure she's feeling her best to prevent those problems. Everyone knows that we do not tolerate bullying whatsoever. Now, I can either write you up, send you to the principal's office, or we can call your parents and we can let them handle it." Ms. Glenda said as she looked at everyone and rubbed my back for comfort.

"Thank you." I whispered to her.

"You're welcome, honey." She said smiling.

"I'm sorry, Amilyan. I won't do again."

"And?" Ms. Glenda said folding her arms.

"And I will be a good friend and make sure you aren't having an episode again." Madison said with her head down.