Chapter 12

BRANDY

*8 Years Later*

Friday, September 7th, 2012

4:35 P.M.

"Ok, guys. Before our therapy sessions end, I want to introduce you to our guest speaker today." My therapist, Joan, said as she got up.

It was Fantastic Group Fridays. It was the day I had my group therapy sessions with other women who has endured domestic violence.

Life has been very different since Terry and I moved back to Atlanta. Very, very different than what we were used to since 1996.

"Wow, I wonder if it's a hottie this time." Sheba said as she nudged me. "Girl, the only hottie I know is my husband. I will like for it to stay that way." I said giggling as sipped my cup of coffee.

"Girl, we know you got a good one. I'm speaking for myself." Sheba said laughing as the guest of honor walked in.

"Wow! She's pretty. I bet her story will be amazing."

She looked familiar, but I couldn't think of where I knew the lady from.

"Oooh, I love those shoes! Are those Louis Vuitton's?" A group member asked as we looked at the guest of honor.

"I don't know, girl, but I sure miss mine." I said as I bit off a piece of my donut.

"Um, hi, everyone! I just wanted to speak and thank you for welcoming us. My husband has a great testimony and I know he will share a wonderful one with you all."

"Hey Sheba, doesn't she look familiar? I can't really tell with the big shades on."

"Hm, I don't know. You think her husband slapped her on the way over here?" Sheba asked whispering. I playfully hit her. "Sheba, please hush."

"Thank you, Mrs. Degrate." Joan said smiling as she sat down.

"What?" I asked looking around before I stared at Joan.

"Sorry, I'm late. My daughter had to talk to her daddy before her cheerleading practice." He said before walking in.

I couldn't believe my eyes.

He looked really good prior to when I seen him almost on his death bed about thirteen years ago. I always wondered how his battle with cancer was going. I even had a thought that he lost it.

"Girl, you good? You look like you seen a ghost." Sheba said as she looked at me. "I'm fine. Just ready to go." I said sucking my teeth as I cross my arms.

She sat in the back towards the door as she prepared to listen. He started to hand some sort of pamphlet out. He greeted everyone, but he looked as if he seen a ghost.

"Brandy?"

"You two know each other?" Joan asked as she looked at us. "Very well. We have a mutual person we know. At least, one of us did." I said as I grabbed the pamphlet. I noticed she shifted her neck to get a view of me.

"God must've sent you here. How are you?"

"Girl, what mutual friend y'all got? You got a brother?" Sheba said smiling as she quickly grabbed a pamphlet.

"Sheba, we don't have time for that. Mr. DeGrate, please tell us your story." Joan said as she shook her head as she grabbed the extra pamphlets from him.

I shifted in my seat a little. I'm really wishing I can just disappear at any moment.

"Well, people that know me calls me De. Im a local community counselor at the center for young teens and adults that's located downtown. My wife and I started it after I found a relationship with God about ten years ago. I, um—"