Chapter 6: Impossible

Team Natsu approached the Wishywashy Guys.

"This ice is not melting. Do you know anything about this?" Erza demanded.

"Sure they do!" An excited Natsu was about to punch one of the guys with his fire but Erza knocked Natsu unconscious. The rest of Team Natsu agreed with her actions. Natsu was too reckless.

"Sorry about that. We were wondering where you got this from." Lucy inquired.

"We're sorry. We don't know what that is. A suspicious man came into our bakery. I saw him leaving and walking towards the town." Wishywashy Guy #1 replied but there was some hesitation in his voice. Team Natsu wasn't sure what to do. Should they trust them? Or were they part of the AX guild? Lucy thanked the man at the counter and Team Natsu exited the bakery.

"Do you think we should trust them?" Juvia whispered. Happy was carrying Natsu who suddenly woke up, groaning.

"Oww my head! Why did you do that Erza? Those people are the culprits! Sure they were disguised, but I wouldn't forget anyone's face who messed with me! Even more so, their smell. Don't you recognize them?! The Wishywashy Guys! " Natsu yelled. Flames were forming on his arms.

"What? Natsu, really?!" Lucy was shocked along with the others.

"Yeah. What do you think? That I'd just randomly attack anyone I suspect?!"

"Yes Natsu, you would. And you've proved that point many times." Happy responded.

"Hmph. Well what do you suggest we do now? We have to go back inside. I don't care what you guys do, but I'm gonna beat them to a pulp!"

"WAIT. Don't go inside. We should make a plan. If we're too reckless, then--" Lucy started. But Erza and Natsu had already entered the bakery. The rest followed behind.

"You. Tell us what you did." Erza held Wishywashy Guy #1's shirt and raised him up, staring straight into his eyes. Natsu simply punched the other one, who was distracted, with his fire.

"What are you talking about?" The men were still pretending to be innocent. Natsu decided to take it to extreme measures.

"Fire Breath of the Fire-Breathing DRAGON!!!" Natsu spurted out flames from his mouth but it didn't hit Wishywashy Guy #2. He had used his magic. It was the unmeltable ice. The ice made a barrier around the man. The flames went in all directions of the bakery. Natsu tried again but the barrier wouldn't let his flames through.

In the meantime, Juvia and Erza were trying to make Wishywashy Guy #1 confess.

"Tell us now! We know what you did! Where is Gray?" Erza demanded.

"WHERE IS GRAY?" Juvia was enraged. She couldn't stand it anymore. She had to exact her revenge. She hit the man with a force of water but somehow it reverted and hit Wishywashy Guy #1's barrier while Natsu was trying to melt it with his flames. The water and fire touched and a small crack was made in the barrier.

Natsu saw this and came to a sudden understanding.Of course! Makarov said it earlier. Water and Fire together can go through the ice! Natsu called Juvia for help but she was too busy with the other man.

"I have plant magic if you didn't know. Ha! And your water is only going to help them grow more." Wishywashy Guy #1 smirked.

"Oh yeah?! Then what about this?!" Erza used her 100 heavenly arrows power and destroyed all the plants. Juvia ran to Natsu's side and together they broke the barrier with the strongest force they could exert.

"Finally now that you both are beaten, spill it." Lucy ordered.

"It doesn't matter if we tell you now. He's dead." The men said.

Juvia's eyes widened. She controlled herself from tearing up. She convinced herself that they were lying.

"You-you guys are lying, aren't you? Show us the way!" Juvia instructed.

"Fine. We will but I doubt he's still--" Wishywashy Guy #1 stopped himself from saying any more since he noticed Juvia's face was turning red.

"Ok then lead us to him! And if you try to fool us, ha, well we'll beat you up more."

Erza grinned. The men were terrified. Riku said something at that moment that made everyone jump. They had totally forgotten he was with them since he hadn't talked the whole time.

"I know Gray is still alive. Don't worry, Juvia." Riku smiled.

"Thank you. Yes, he is. Juvia knows it." Juvia smiled back at him. Riku is so nice and sweet. Thank you for lifting my spirits up and giving me hope once again, Riku.

They walked and walked deeper into the forest until they came upon the members of the AX guild. They were moving around gathering materials. Some of them were inside a huge tent. Riku guessed what that place was.

"It's the place where--"

"Yeah where Gray is being held." Lucy finished his sentence. They all went inside to be shocked at the sight. Gray was in the middle of the tent with his arms and feet held by unmeltable ice. But Gray himself wasn't covered in ice.

"The ice....melted? But it's unmeltable ice." Erza pondered.

"Unless the ice was absorbed into him making him...." Happy couldn't say it. Everyone knew what he was thinking. Gray might be dead.

"No....this can't be possible. Gray cannot be dead! He can't die!"

"We don't know for sure." Lucy said.

But he...doesn't seem to be....breathing." Natsu said in between gasps. There was a choking feeling in his throat as if he was going to cry.

AX's members ran toward them and Juvia wiped them all out in an instant. Her most powerful form had arisen. The anger in her eyes fueled her power's strength. She ran towards Gray and inspected him. Natsu looked for his pulse. It wasn't there. Tears rolled down his eyes.

"Gray, my buddy. I fought with you but close friends fight. I competed against you but it was because I admired you and I wanted to beat you since you were powerful like me. You're my best bud. You can't be gone now! Gray...Gray! GRAY!" Natsu sobbed. Tears just kept dribbling down his cheeks.

Juvia cried too and just as much, "Gray, I loved you. Just having you as a friend was enough. And now you're gone, far away from my world. A world without you is a world I cannot live in."

Riku widened his eyes. Juvia liked Gray? I knew she was his friend but I didn't think....

Erza, Lucy, and Happy started crying too. It was so hard to lose a comrade. How would we manage without Gray? Gray was the mage who courageously fought alongside us on missions. Gray...the person who always striped off his shirt. Gray-the person who always had our backs. Everyone was thinking these thoughts.

Natsu started losing his mind, "No. Gray isn't dead! He will come back. Won't he? We can resurrect him like Oracion Seis did for Jellal! He isn't dead yet. We can...we can..."

"Natsu...he's gone." Lucy responded.

He's gone...Those words vibrated throughout all of their minds. They couldn't stand being there any longer. It was too depressing and they were already heartbroken. They all left the tent, except for Juvia. Juvia couldn't say her farewells yet. Not yet. Never. She would stay in the tent for as long as she could. Even if she had to die there. She would take her last breath beside him.

Riku stood staring at her. He had just met Gray but looking at Juvia with an expression so sad made his heart ache. Juvia, if only I could do something to help you. I can't make you smile....I don't know how to. I can't resurrect him but how I wish I could. I want to see your smiling face again. But, I can't do anything to help. Will you please let him go, and take me instead? Please let him go, and love me instead.