Chapter 13: Realization

It was the next day morning and Lucy wrote her journal entry:

~~

July 17, XX20 

Everything was going just fine. Then the arrow hit Juvia. Gray collapsed in front of her. I think he couldn't bear the pain. We rushed her to the guild's medical room. The medical mages said she's in dire condition. I FEEL SO SCARED. I CAN'T LOSE MY BEST FRIEND. Not like this! I'm desperately waiting for the results. JUVIA, PLEASE BE ALRIGHT! 

We're hiding everything from Gray. When we saw him faint, we decided it would be best to hide that she got hurt even if he questioned it. After all, he saw Juvia collapse in front of him, but still we will try to hide the truth. I'm worried that seeing her in this serious condition could devastate him. All the guild members decided on one story so he wouldn't suspect anything, but I doubt it will help. Gray is smart and he would notice. I hope he doesn't, though. I don't want another person to get hurt. Still, Natsu might just spill the beans. All I can do is pray for Juvia now. If I lose her then.....no I can't think like that. Not while there's hope.

~~

Lucy put the journal in her bag and walked to the guild. The guild seemed so lifeless. Everyone was anxious to hear from the medical mages. She sat down just as Gray entered, shocked by the sight.

"What's wrong with everyone?" He shouted.

"Nothing's wrong. Everyone's just tired from their missions." Lucy forced herself to smile.

"You're lying."

"No, I'm no-"

At that moment, Natsu entered the guild and shouted, "Any progress?!"

Lucy facepalmed herself. She knew Natsu would do something stupid like always.

"Progress? What does that mean?" Gray went up to Natsu.

"Umm...uhh...nothing important! Hehe!" Natsu tried running away but Gray grabbed his shirt and made him sit down.

"Tell me why everyone's acting so suspicious. What are you all keeping from me?!"

"The truth is.... Juvia--" Lucy gave up. The guilt was getting to her.

"Wait! Juvia's ok, right? Nothing bad actually happened, right? Haha...there's no way she's dead. She should have arrived at the guild by now. So where is she?!"

Lucy and Natsu frowned. They realized what was happening. Gray was trying to deny the truth. Knowing that Juvia had gotten hurt badly and being unsure of her current condition, he was tricking himself into thinking that nothing had even happened.

Natsu mustered up the courage to tell him, "Juvia...is in a coma."

At hearing this, Gray's eyes widened. "S-so she's not dead! I knew it. Thank goodness. Bu-but she'll be alright, right? Of course. She can't die...and she can't live like this forever. It'll be ok like always! Very soon, we'll go on missions together again."

"Yeah...don't worry. She'll be fine." Lucy could only utter those words. She didn't know if Juvia would be fine, but she had to do something to console the Gray that was traumatized.

"Why did everyone keep this from me, though? Did you think I'd be sad? She's gonna be alright, after all." Gray responded.

Lucy thought while holding back tears: That's a lie. You are sad. And, she's obviously in critical condition. Who knows if she'll be okay...

"What are you saying?! Of course you'd be sad! You were so shocked that you fainted yesterday, so we didn't want you to suffer even more." Natsu shouted.

"Still! You should've told me. I'm Juvia's friend. I deserve to know. And I don't feel sad. She'll be fine, after all."

"Don't you realize? I think it's something more than friendship. I couldn't let your heart break---Juvia wouldn't allow it." Lucy frowned.

"What are you talking about?!" Gray was baffled that Lucy thought he liked Juvia that way. There was no way. She's just my best friend. That's all there is to it.

"Gray, I'm really sorry we didn't tell you the truth. Natsu really wanted to tell you. After all, we felt guilty for not letting you know, but it also hurt to imagine the look on your face you had yesterday when she got hurt. So we pretended that she wasn't hurt to begin with."

"It's ok. Because she's ok. Where is she now?"

Lucy took Gray to where Juvia was. She was laying on a bed unconscious in the medical room at the guild. The medical mages were using their healing powers on her. Gray took a brief look at her, left the room, and rushed out of the guild.

While walking on the street, suddenly, a tear rolled down his cheek. He wiped it away and looked at it on his finger in confusion.

Why am I crying? There's nothing wrong. 

Juvia's just sleeping. She'll wake up soon. 

Stop crying. 

JUST STOP! 

Stop....

All of a sudden, he remembered Juvia bleeding on the ground in his hands, smiling at him before she blacked out.

Juvia....I've been denying it but you're hurt, aren't you? You're suffering so much! 

Please, wake up! You can't sleep forever....You can't die!

Before Gray knew it, more tears rushed down his face. He fell down to his knees and began sobbing.

Don't leave me! Don't leave me alone! 

HOW CAN I LIVE WITHOUT YOU?!

Wait, what am I saying...Why would I say such a thing?  

Do I actually....like Juvia?