Chapter 8: Mystery

Team Natsu reached the guild and told Makarov of the misfortune.

"Hmm...how can Gray die that easily? He is strong. I cannot believe this." Makarov pondered.

"We can't believe it either!" Natsu blurted out.

"Well, we will have to investigate further. Where is his body?"

Erza told him of his location and they all left once again towards the forest. Natsu didn't look well. His face was pale and he was staring at the ground.

"I know you can't bear to see him, but we have to got to face reality." Lucy put her hand on Natsu's shoulder in an attempt to soothe him.

"No...no Gray ain't dead! He is powerful like me! If in all those fights against each other it was always a tie, there's NO way he is! Not to a wimpy guild like AX!"

"Be quiet! We are still looking into it. Don't give up just yet. Even if-even if it's what we're thinking, we have to move on no matter how hard it is....I learned this from experience. So stop irritating me." Erza scolded him. Natsu was about to annoyingly say "Alright, old lady!" but stopped himself at the thought of Erza fist hitting him.

On the other side of the forest, Juvia was peering down at the floor. There were ice shards shattered in front of her.

"Ice? Out of gray's body? Gray turned into ice?!" Juvia was shocked then came to a realization. The ice that froze Gray absorbed inside his body, which is why we couldn't see it when we found him. This ice that absorbed into his body to take away his powers must have already taken control of the outside of his body too, turning him into an ice sculpture. From this, AX could take the ice and convert it into powers.

"What's this then? It doesn't make sense." Juvia asked herself as a piece of ice in her hand melted. The ice that got absorbed inside him should have been unmeltable ice yet this ice melted

."Meltable ice....unmeltable ice....melting and unmelting. Does this mean....?!" As her heart beat rapidly, Juvia ran out the tent and towards the guild.

"Juvia?" A voice called and Juvia froze.

Meanwhile, Makarov and Team Natsu were running as fast as they could towards the tent. They came to the tent but nobody was inside. The AX members were retreating from the forest towards safety.

Erza grabbed one of the AX members who were running away and asked what happened."What did you do to Gray?!"

"I-I don't know what happened! When I looked in the tent, there was just water on the floor!" The AX member trembled then ran from her grasp.

"Water? Where is his body?! Did Juvia take it?" Lucy asked the others and they were uncertain as well.

"We will have to look around the forest for Juvia. First, defeat these AX members so they don't attempt to kill someone again!" Makarov commanded and the others nodded. Team Natsu fought the AX members in a jiffy. Erza tied them up with her armor and dragged them away to Fairy Tail.

Juvia was in another part of the forest and near the guild, so she didn't see Team Natsu. She turned around and saw Gray right there before her eyes.

"Gray?" Juvia teared up and ran to him. "Gray, you're alive! Thank you. Thank you." Juvia couldn't contain herself. Tears kept rolling down her red cheeks.

"Yeah I am. Sorry I couldn't tell you earlier but I'll tell you now. Everything that happened....Just let it all out. I'm sorry." Gray embraced her, telling her everything was ok now so she could let all the tears come out until there was nothing left.

After a minute or two, she smiled and said, "It's over. I cried a lot before so this is as far as it goes." She chuckled and Gray grinned.

"Alright. Let's go tell the others." Gray and Juvia reached the guild but only Erza was there.

"Gray! You're alive?!" Erza shouted and her voice echoed throughout the guild.

"Yes. I am." Gray was ready to be slapped. But to Gray's surprise, Erza didn't do anything. She just gave a sigh of relief, "I'm so glad."

Yet it was too early to let down his guard.

"Why didn't you come here EARLIER?! Where were you?!" Erza screamed in his face and would've hit him if Juvia didn't spray water on her face.

"Don't! He will explain. Maybe he went through some trouble."

"Alright. But Gray, if you do this again, you won't be spared!" Gray understood how Erza felt. She was simply worried about him.

"Where's the rest of the gang?" Juvia asked.

"They've gone to look for you to see if you had Gray's body. I trapped all the AX members in my armor and delivered them here. They're in the guild's medical room."

"What about Team Natsu? Should I bring them back here?"

"Ahh...oh right! Use Warren's telepathy." Gray answered. Gray and Juvia told Warren to call Team Natsu to the guild and they arrived soon.

"GRAYYYY!!!!!!" Natsu punched Gray's face with his fire and Gray defended himself with an ice sword.

"NO FIGHTING! Will you guys just calm down for once?! I can't believe even after this close call, you guys would still be fighting." Erza was raging.

"JUST SHUT UP!" Natsu and Gray yelled in unison. Everybody knew how it would end. Erza would hit them and they'd be knocked out, which is exactly what happened.

"Gray, you're alive!! I knew you wouldn't die! You're strong after all! I mean if we always tied-"

After Erza punched them, Natsu was on the ground with Gray by his side.

"-that means we are both strong. Because I'm strong you know. Except I'm smart too, so I wouldn't die."

"What's THAT supposed to mean?!"

"Nothing. Just an idiot!"

"You're the person with ice for a brain!"

"Well your brain's so hot that it can't even function!"

Lucy banged her head against a table in frustration since she couldn't stand to see Natsu and Gray fight each other. They constantly did this, and there was no end to it. Finally, after a few minutes, Gray got up and spoke.

"Sorry everyone. I'll tell you now what happened." Everyone clustered around Gray and prepared to hear the truth.