05

ding dong
where is it you've gone to?
do you think you've won?
our game of hide and seek has just begun

3RD PERSON

weeks later - almost a month and more, daeun saw hope. youngjae seemed to trust her more and eric was seen less often. youngjae had been nothing but sweet to her. some days, they would spend the day cuddled up on the sofa, or some days daeun wanted to cook for them as she felt bad for the lady next door providing them food. nights were peaceful when he would embrace her gently, soothing her to sleep. on some very rare days, youngjae would bring her out in his black car - whether it was a trip to the store or dining out at restaurants.

on those rare days, daeun looked out the window, memorising the route from his house to the lively city where people crowded at. tonight, she would make a run for it. she had noticed for the past few weeks - youngjae did not stay in her room on thursday nights.

/

"hey, i have some business to attend. sleep well tonight. i'll see you tomorrow, love," youngjae brushed some hair strands covering her face.

daeun noticed that he had somewhere to be every thursday night - and he was gone until 7 in the morning. first two weeks, he would have locked her door but after that, daeun did not hear the familiar 'click' from the door, making her curious self exit the her room. that was when she found youngjae nowhere in sight at home and his black car was not parked outside.

/

it's tonight. daeun thought as she shut her eyes in pretence to sleep. the door creaked open and the white bed dipped behind her. youngjae's hands reached up to caress her face. "how can you be so pretty even when sleeping," daeun could hear him mumble. "love, i have something to settle tonight. rest up well and i'll see you first thing tomorrow," youngjae said, before planting a kiss onto her head. later, the door shut close with the absence of the click of the lock and daeun could hear the engine of his black car roar. peeking through the curtains in the dark room, daeun watched as his car reversed and drove away into the opposite direction away from the city route. "yes! he's not headed to the city," she cheered silently. slinging the backpack with some basic necessities, daeun tiptoed down the stairs heading to the front door. unlocked. she grinned - it was really time to escape. closing the door behind her, she dashed with all her might towards the city.

meanwhile, youngjae, who was on his way to meet up with some business acquaintances, slowed his car down. "wait, did i lock the front door?" he asked himself. "she wouldn't do that, would she?" he was in absolute denial. nonetheless, he turned his car around to journey back home. it was slightly past midnight when youngjae switched off his car engines. his initial plan to just lock the door and drive away was thrown away as he climbed up the steps to the second floor. his heart beating at the expected girl sleeping cozily under the white thick comforter. swinging her door open, his smile dropped and his eyes turned sharp and dark. traitor. he thought.

daeun ran with all her strength under the midnight sky. the streets were quiet and accompanied by a few street lights. the road was empty and fear struck her thinking of youngjae's black car flashing light from behind as he drove up to her at a dangerous speed. shaking the thought off, she continued to sprint down the pavement, passing by the dark houses along the way. she kept turning back to ensure youngjae was not tailing behind her - thud! daeun knocked into something or rather someone hard. that someone had gripped onto her forearms to prevent her from falling backwards.

"huh it's you," he said causing daeun to look up and stare back in fear at his sharp glaring eyes. "you're youngjae's girl," changmin smirked, "i wonder what you're doing out here all alone."

"probably.." he trailed off, "escaping?" daeun could see a glint of sparkle in his eyes. changmin bursted out in heaps of laughter at the girl who was trapped in his grip. "youngjae's probably mad. i should get you back to him," changmin muttered, his hands gripped her arm harshly as he pulled her along effortlessly.

"no! please! i can't go back there-" daeun resisted with every strength she had left. "and why not?" changmin's gaze burned into hers, his dimple showing up on his cheek signed mischief instead of sweet. "i'll do anything! just please, don't return me to him," daeun sobbed. changmin tilted his head slightly, smirking down at her pitiful self, "anything huh?"

-

her plan was ruined - just because she had bumped into ji changmin the night she escaped. she thought changmin would not interfere but she thought terribly wrong. if she had to choose between staying with ji changmin or staying with son youngjae, she would pick son youngjae over and over again. her heart was filled with so much regret as she recalled youngjae's words.

"he's sick in the head too."

by then, daeun could tell changmin was not right in the mind. she sat in some apartment near the city, her hands and feet were tied up and her lips were duct-taped. changmin came over, crouching down next to her with a sly smirk. "nice to meet you, seo daeun. i'm q," he grinned a sinister grin. "eric's got a cute soulmate like you, he's lucky. i used to have one too but do you know what happened to her?" q frowned mockingly. daeun stayed silent as her eyes traced the movements of the man in the same room as her. "i was so upset. why did she have to go?" q neared her once again and daeun almost believed that he was genuinely sad until he carved out a smile - almost psychotic. "i killed her," he smiled at daeun,"right here at the spot you're sitting on."

ding dong
where is it you've gone to?
do you think you've won?
our game of hide and seek has just begun

the same song played itself in her mind. son youngjae.. daeun thought. she was more than afraid - q seemed more dangerous than eric. "you said you would do anything," her chin was being lifted up roughly by his hand. "let me kill you," q chuckled, letting go of her chin before he whistled and strutted off to the kitchen.