15

ding dong
looks like i have won
now you're it
ding dong
pay the consequence

3RD PERSON

son youngjae pleaded guilty to the murder of ji changmin and abduction of seo daeun.

"son youngjae, i sentence you to execution for your serious offences," the judge voiced out his final verdiction. the court went silent as youngjae looked down at his cuffed hands. he had no family on his side and his beloved girl was taken away from him.

youngjae was put behind the bars where he would be executed a week later for murdering ji changmin and abducting daeun for a long period. seo daeun, on the other hand, had pleaded to see him one last time. "daeun, it's dangerous," sunwoo frowned at her when he and haknyeon had come over to visit their dear friend. "i promise you - he's harmless to me," daeun eagerly told him. after getting the permission of her parents and the officers in-charge of her case, seo daeun was brought to son youngjae. he sat quietly on the other side of the glass. even in green, he looked as handsome as ever. slowly, their hands reached out to pick up the wired telephone on their tables.

"hi, youngjae," she spoke.

"hello sweetheart," youngjae flashed her a sweet smile, just like the ones she had remembered.

"will you be okay?" she hesitated to ask, knowing what the male was going to face. daeun had to stop herself from letting the emotions take over her as she forced herself to look at him. she took all the time she had to take in his features and the sound of his voice as he spoke to her.

"are we ever okay?" youngjae chuckled, trying to cheer her up a bit.

"inmate 2212, 1 minute left!" they both heard the guarding officer said. they glanced at one another, already feeling uneasy.

"sweetheart, always remember that we're soulmates and no one can ever separate us, okay?" for once, he was reassuring her of his return. they both knew that he was never going to return to her but they would do everything to hold on to that unrealistic hope. "i love you," daeun uttered to him, making his smile grew bigger. "i love you too, seo daeun," and then he hung up before standing up to walk back to his cell. his eyes never left hers as he walked until he no longer could see her. the rest of the week, son youngjae could only fill his mind with seo daeun, his beloved soulmate. until it was time to take his last breath, he could only see daeun in front of him, telling him that he was going to be okay. and then he finally stepped forward, his feet not feeling the chair anymore as he smiled under the brown cloth bag.

-

"miss seo, it's time for therapy," the nurse announced to her as the girl hid under the covers. seo daeun had to go through therapy and she was warded in the hospital room for her own safety. her own therapist scanned through daeun's recent progress which was not going as smoothly as they had planned. there were several reports of hallucinations from seo daeun herself.

"hello daeun, how are you feeling today?" the therapist would ask with a gentle smile. the good thing was that daeun was not as dull as she was, especially after visiting youngjae a week back. "good! youngjae came to hang out with me today!" she had said and the therapist continued to engage with her as she took down more notes. "oh really? what did you both do?" and the smile on daeun's face grew as she shared all about it.

"youngjae said he was doing very well and we talked about our future together! we could travel around the world and stay with one another forever," the girl exclaimed excitedly. "that sounds like a great plan, daeun. how about you go ahead and rest in your room? we can continue this again later," the therapist smiled at her as she watched the patient leave the room, escorted by the nurse. the therapist's expression dropped as she looked over the reports once again. things were definitely not going well.

-

that night, seo daeun tossed and turned around in her room, struggling to fall asleep. the wall clock had shown that it was an hour past midnight. the hospital was in total silence with most of the patients being asleep. suddenly, the freezing night breeze brushed against her skin as the window swung open gently.

"youngjae?" daeun called out. the lad stood in her room in his casual wear, smiling down at her.

"i promised you a life together, didn't i?" he asked her as she climbed out of bed to reach for him. the girl nodded eagerly. "let's go now," youngjae had said as his arms pulled her into his embrace. he felt warm in contrast to the freezing breeze, just like how he usually was. daeun continued to bury her face in his chest as she held onto him tightly. the male released her before stepping towards the window.

"sweetheart, won't you come with me?" youngjae offered her his hand as he stood outside the window. daeun could only focus on him. his eyes were truthful and the beautiful smile he had on was hard to resist. it was all daeun ever wanted - to come with him wherever he went.

so seo daeun jumped out her window.

nothing mattered as much to her anymore. they would finally be together in another life that youngjae had promised her of. she had thought of him as the best dream in her life - she loved him and she was certain he had loved her too. all in the end, son youngjae was just a nightmare dressed like a day dream and seo daeun never wanted to wake up.

{the end}

thank you for reading "nightmare".