08

just wait, you can't hide from me
(i'm coming)
just wait, you can't hide from me

SEO DAEUN

it was a monday. son youngjae was home. i could hear him being a neat freak. how did he even keep this huge house clean? if he had taken sunwoo, my friend would be killed in less than two hours because of how untidy kim sunwoo was. ever since my escape plan failed because of that crazy jerk - ji changmin, i had been quiet in this house. i only spoke when youngjae asked a question. i could not risk agitating the psychopath even more. i had to try and gain his trust once again as soon as possible. one day, i know that one day i would escape this hell hole. the door opened, snapping myself out of my trains of thoughts.

"come down," that was the only thing he said before he left.

it was dinner time and the sight of food almost made my mouth water. the house was silent and only the sound of metal utensils could be heard as we ate. youngjae broke the silence by sliding over a small-sized pure, white box. "open it," he still had the same blank expression as he continued to consume his food.

cautiously, i took hold of the box in my hands. who knows what he had placed in ths box? what if it was a poison trap and he wanted me dead after i tried to escape from him? i peeled the lid off and a gorgeous bracelet sat in the middle of the tiny cushion. "what is this?" i asked timidly. "a bracelet," well no shit sherlock, son youngjae. i know what the item was. i send him a discreet glare before focusing on the jewelry. no doubt, it was beautiful and youngjae actually had a nice taste for picking this gem out. "why did you buy this?" i questioned him as i slid the bracelet onto my wrists. "because i felt bad that you were hurt," youngjae had replied shortly. liar. i so badly wanted to yell that to his face. psychopaths do not feel these type of emotions yet here he was uttering words like that. i shrugged and resumed eating. he was nice that night, so i would rather not make him mad. oh, was he really nice?

-

the most anticipated night had arrived. my favourite night of all week - thursday night. i was well aware that youngjae would check twice to lock the doors but either way he would be out of the house which meant more peaceful time to myself. but maybe, from that night onwards, thursday would not be my favourite night anymore. the door creaked open as i expected him to come and whisper sweet nothings like usual. however, instead of sweet, sugary words, youngjae had firmly said to "wake up and get ready." i attempted to ignore as i shifted under the covers even more. he had pulled the cover off calmly, "i know you're not asleep." i groaned softly, forcing myself up to put on decent clothes which i had settled in an all-black oversized hoodie and jeans.

the drive was a long one. i yawned repeatedly as youngjae's car drove into the dark. finally, his car pulled up in front of a headquarters-kind-of building. it was a tall, dark and cemented building. even the security system was no joke as i entered it with youngjae and there were four guards escorting us. we turned right into a long white hallway before halting in front of a door with a sign 'strictly no entry'.

youngjae turned to face me before leaning down. "do not try anything funny. everyone is armed here," he warned before dusting his clothes, getting ready to enter. as soon as the door opened, seven pairs of eyes fixated themselves on us. i gulped seeing all the men in black in the room. "why is she here, eric?" the male leading the meeting raised an eyebrow. eric? this was eric and not youngjae all along? the thought of him being eric throughout the journey here sent shivers down my spine. all this while, i was conversing with the psychopath like it was nothing. and to think that he could actually hurt me if i ever slightly cross the line. "shut up, sangyeon. it's none of your business," eric hissed as he pulled another chair before forcing me to sit next to him.

i let my eyes wander as they discussed what seemed to be a new mission. i was not interested anyway - they were all a bunch of lunatics who kill people for a living. my eyes held an eye contact with someone in the room. he flashed a sincere smile - almost angelic - before he turned back to face the front. 'maybe they're not so bad afterall,' i smiled to myself. afterwards, my gaze fell onto another lad. he seemed tall and his eyes were piercing. if eyes could kill, i would have been dead. i expected a smile from him too but the intense gaze continued to glare when he looked my way. 'oop okay nevermind, everyone is bad here,' i took back my previous thoughts.

i wondered how eric managed to live in a luxurious home and he seemingly had no job, judging by how he stayed at home most of the time. i was terribly wrong. he was an assassin. it was no wonder how he could stay home all week. he got paid a large sum of money after every mission - after every killing. these people were committing illegal offences discreetly and someone was paying them. i gasped lightly at my thoughts, earning glares from almost everyone in the tension-filled room. attempting my best to calm myself down, i finally understood my situation as of that moment. i was in a very dangerous game in a room filled with killers. son youngjae had put me in this situation - no, fate had put me in the hands of a dangerous man.