227 - Rebecca

"I thought you said the island basically closed down after dark," I called through the door as I brushed through my hair.

I'd been leaving it down in natural waves, which I could only assume had formed after so many years of artificial curling.

"It does," Colby called back. I heard footsteps leading up to the door before Colby slid just his his head into the room. "But that doesn't count the vampires."

"Vampires?" I repeated in surprise. "Would any vampire with half a brain choose to live here, where the sun could kill them in, like, naught point two seconds?"

Colby rolled his eyes as he walked into the room carrying my backpack. "There's shelter and nighttime, baby. It isn't like the vampires here just stand out in the sun to get killed."

"No, but it's still a pretty dumb decision."

"We aren't going to any vampires tonight, anyway. We're meeting with someone I know here who's a feed."

I cocked a brow. "Was this person ever a feed for you?"

"No," Colby laughed. "Trust me, after Hayley, I'm not letting you anywhere near anyone who I've fed on or slept with before. I can't trust them." He gave me a smile. "Besides, she's very happily the One of a vampire already."

"Why do you trust her?" I asked, putting my hairbrush down to take the backpack from his hands. I slung it over my shoulder.

"It's more the vampire, Nate, who I trust. I've known him for a long time—before the change—and so I have every reason to trust he's found a good woman." Colby shrugged. "We're meeting her at night for a reason."

"Will Nate be there?"

"No, he's on the mainland right now."

"I'm starting to feel like this is twenty questions," I sighed. "If you trust her, I'll trust her, but not completely. You're right, we can't exactly trust anyone after all we've been through."

Colby smiled at me, tugging at my shirt so I'd move into his body. "You can ask me as much as you want, baby. I like that you're being careful."

"I have to be," I pointed out and stood on my toes. Colby leaned down at the same time to kiss me, but held it longer than I expected. When he pulled back, he glanced down at my lips with a smile. "I love you, babes," I told him.

"I love you, too," he whispered, kissed me again, then grabbed my hand. "Let's go, Malia's waiting."

I let Colby lead me out of the beautiful Hawaiian house I was slowly getting attached to. We climbed into a big pick-up truck Colby had driven up here on the first night, where he placed his hand on my thigh and drove off of the driveway. I watched out the window as the exotic trees and plants flew by.

The road leading to our house was a long stretch of twisting concrete. There wasn't more than a minute of straight here, which Colby said was because we were elevated on the mountains, so a straight would be steep and we'd be more likely to keep going until we crashed into a tree, like on a slide.

It took miles to pass another house, which was hidden by a couple of trees, but the homes increased the closer to the bottom of the mountain we got until they formed a small town filled with exclusively locals who, much to my surprise, didn't mind us. They looked at Colby a little weirdly as if they knew what he was—or at least that he wasn't normal, however, at this time of night, all they cared about was being on the better side of their house thresholds.

We continued through this small town, passed five or six scattered houses, then turned onto a dirt road leading into more trees. I watched more carefully now as the trees became plentiful, scarce, and disappeared altogether.