239 - Rebecca

From the moment I got into Colby's car, I had a bitch face on. Not my old bitch face, but one brought on by annoyance. I made little huff sounds with everything I did, slammed doors, crossed my arms, and refused to look Colby in the eye.

At first, he'd asked what was wrong but soon realised I wasn't going to answer that question if my life depended on it. He assumed seeing my dad had gone wrong like I feared, so he kept his mouth shut from there on out and drove us home.

I kept up the facade even as we walked into a semi-busy house with people in the kitchen. Jake and Tara did warn us that they were going home to have drinks with the others as they felt quite suffocated at the funeral. It appeared literally everyone had joined them, and had chosen the airy kitchen instead of the claustrophobic red room for their location.

I didn't mind this, it gave me a nice little stage to be dramatic.

"Beck, Colby!" Tara came running out of the kitchen with a drink in hand, one that was nearly empty. I wondered how many more she'd had.

"Hi, Tara," Colby replied—to both of our surprise.

"Um, hi? Is something going on? You two don't look so good."

"We just came back from visiting my now widower father, Tara," I walked past her as if I was mad, "how do you expect us to act?"

"Oh... right, sorry. I'm a little- well, not drunk, I can't get drunk on this little alcohol. I'm-"

"Give it a rest," I sighed. I'd reached the kitchen, where no one was even looking toward me. They acted like I wasn't there, which I would've wanted if I was my old self.

Tara made her way back to Jake, the only person looking at me, and Colby came over to me. He silently took my handbag—the only one I owned—and jacket from me, and zipped away upstairs for about a second. When he came back, he knowingly kept his distance.

"Do you want a drink?" Tara asked quietly now.

"No," I muttered.

"Not even a really weak one? Or, like, water?"

I looked at her sharply, "I'm fine." Tara nodded and looked away, but Colby didn't let me off that easy. He gently nudged my side, getting my attention without speaking too loudly. The others made up for the sound in the room, anyway. We could speak mostly unnoticed.

"You haven't spoken to me and you're being rude to Tara," he whispered. "What gives?"

"Nothing gives," I whispered back. "Just upset."

He frowned, "Didn't it go well?"

"It went great."

"Then why-" Colby cut himself off when the realisation hit. I saw the muscles in his face change, the way his eyes narrowed and he looked away, annoyed. His jaw was suddenly set, bringing a smile onto my face.

"What," I said, "can't I be dramatic for once?"

In the corner of my eye, I noticed Tara looking up, realising what was happening, too. I was smiling softly now as I waited for Colby to make eye contact with me again. "Nothing bad happened, babes."

"So what did he say?"

"That he couldn't stop me—and okay. That's as close to a yes as we're gonna get." My smile grew wider and Colby nodded, tugging me into his side now. I let him wrap me up in a hug, which I didn't expect.

Colby hadn't really wanted me to become a vampire since I started talking about it, but it appeared that over time his mind had slowly changed. I didn't know how or when, or if I even wanted to know the details of why. If we talked about it here, I'd feel uncomfortable, so I vowed to speak about it when everyone was asleep later. If we were awake.