231 - Rebecca

Not the exact idea of her bun, but I'm sure you can get the gist from this photo \/

Everyone, for old time's sake, moved into the red room shortly after forcibly giving Colby side-hugs or fist-bumps

Everyone, for old time's sake, moved into the red room shortly after forcibly giving Colby side-hugs or fist-bumps. He became intoxicatingly attached to me the moment we were on his chair, like he was unable to let me go, and I played along in leaning toward him. Because I liked feeling so close to him.

Even if we'd had an entire week to ourselves.

I was being caught up on some of the things I'd missed, mostly by Katrina in her never-ending rants—that I couldn't believe I actually missed. I briefly mentioned someone we'd met where we went and that she reminded me of Katrina, but said, "Not that that's a good thing."

"Shut up, you missed me," Katrina laughed back. I smiled at her genuinely, feeling the truth in her statement, as Colby squeezed my side. He knew how I felt, too.

"Is there anything else that's happened?" I questioned, looking around the group one by one.

I noticed there was something strange about the faces, something rather hesitant about them like they were trying to hide something from me. And when I looked at Aryia, all alone, with my sister not in sight, I thought back to the secret Colby said I needed to find out from Angela.

"Aryia," I said, "where's Angela?"

He wasn't the only one who tensed up—in fact, the fluent liar, Mike, was the only one who didn't look uncomfortable at that moment. And I knew then that something had gone wrong with my sister, one way or the other.

"Um, I think she's at home," Aryia told me quietly. It was like he was afraid to speak. "I thought you might've seen her already."

"No, we went to see my dad." I looked at Colby curiously, wondering if that'd been part of the plan.

We seemed to be on the same page, but Colby was still perfectly capable of keeping secrets from me. With ease, it appeared.

That bothered me a lot.

But, determined not to ruin the night, I simply said, "I'll call her and ask to hang out tomorrow. We need to reconcile a little bit, after all."

"You should go during the day. Normal human hours," Colby suggested.

"That means I'll have to go to sleep early, though." I frowned at him, shaking my head slightly. "Not tonight, I'm staying up with everyone for as long as possible."

Colby didn't argue—he knew we'd work this out over the course of the night, and if I decided to go to bed early after all, it'd be my choice, not something he forced me into doing.

"There is actually something else," Xepher said excitedly, completely alleviating the tension in the room. Everybody forgot for a moment about whatever was going on with my sister. "Your favourite human, that Maggie—she's found a boyfriend."