228 - Rebecca

Exploring the island alone had been exciting, but exploring with a character like Malia was downright exhilarating.

She pushed me to follow her anywhere, from cliff edges to the water at the beach, and she showed me all the traditional foods and traditions of the island whilst giving me her personal story.

Although typically I wouldn't be very interested in her, I found myself clinging to the way she acted and talked because, I realised at dinner, she reminded me of Katrina and I was missing my friends back home an unhealthy amount by now. Not that it'd been very long, they just had that hold on me.

Malia was serving up the last of my exotic meals for dinner while we waited for Colby to get his soft ass down here. It was Kalua pig and rice, which was fairly similar to pulled pork in texture. I was served a large bowl steaming with one of the most delicious smells ever, and I inhaled as much as I could knowing that I wouldn't be here on this island for much longer.

I gave Malia a bright smile as I scooped up the pork and rice together and ate a mouthful, but even as I chewed, Malia didn't look away.

I swallowed. "Uh, are you okay?"

She blinked and nodded, a saddened smile on her face as she looked down at her own meal. "I'm okay," she lied.

"That's the saddest I've seen you," I countered worriedly.

"I'm okay, I just really like you and wish you'd stick around for longer, however long you're planning to stay. I wish we could be better friends." She looked back up at me, the same expression on her face, and I felt my heart tug.

Feeling for people I barely knew was definitely a new thing; I didn't know when it'd come about, really, but it was powerful just then, even if I didn't feel entirely the same for Malia. I liked her, I just didn't get attached too quickly.

"Hey," I said, "we can still be friends. I have a phone and I'm sure Colby would love a spontaneous visit from Nate anytime."

"It's different when you can't see each other in person," Malia sighed and shook her head. "Sorry, I did this with Nate. When I think someone's a good person—or when I like someone, I just attach. It's one of my worst features."

"I think it's nice," I offered.

She shrugged. "It's a burden more than anything." After a deep breath, she shook her head, replacing the big cheerful smile that'd been on her face all day. "Okay, serious moment over. Let's talk about the boys."

I laughed. "What is there to talk about?"

"Oh, I don't know, maybe how hot they are?" Malia dramatically widened her eyes. "I mean, I know you haven't seen Nate in person but I'm sure the photos fill you in." I glanced at a photograph sitting at the same table we were at and I had to admit, he wasn't my type at all, but I could see how Malia might like him.

"They do," I told her. "Unfortunately, I was gifted with a One who is exactly my type, so it's hard to find anyone else attractive."

"I'd have trouble even glancing at other men if I had Colby, too," Malia giggled. "Should I not say that?"

"I don't mind." I gave her a smile to prove my point. "I get to sleep with the guy and I still haven't fully processed how attractive he is. It's like something on him gets better every day."

Just thinking about Colby was giving me butterflies, which was probably the most high school thing that'd happened for a while now.

"The last time Nate saw Colby, he was way different to how he was yesterday. Knowing my own story, I'm assuming you changed him?" Malia asked.