254 - Rebecca

Things were really starting to look better after the party at the studio. Jax had taken up his position as manager and had set up his office upstairs, whilst I'd asked the rest of the designers to leave for a while so we could remodel. It was a ploy so that I could get the basement constructed away from prying eyes, since no one could know that I'd be down there. I stood around for every moment the builders were working—they were vampires Colby knew, rather than the builders Angela knew. I wanted to keep this basement quiet from humans.

One of them was particularly friendly, a girl with blonde hair and naturally tanned skin. She was quite beautiful, and sat with me occasionally while her coworkers moved at the speed of light about the room. "Hey," she would usually say.

Normally, we would discuss something menial, but the day the basement got finished was different.

"How's Colby? I haven't seen him around since the first day." She sat leaning back on her hands, her eyes on the only other female worker as she built the doorframe to what would be my new office.

I glanced at the girl beside me—Melanie, her name was. "How is Colby, or how is our relationship?" I asked.

"Either."

"Well, nothing important is really going on right now, so I'd say we're pretty chill. We're getting used to the normality, to not having to look over our shoulders. It's nice." I sighed as I shifted on the stairs. "As for him, he seems to be better than I've ever seen him."

She smiled. "I'm glad, he deserves a bit of happiness. I've known him for a long time—a little before he had fangs, too. I'd considered changing him."

"You did?" I asked, startled.

"Yeah," she laughed. She sounded embarrassed by it. "He was... well, he is pretty hot, and I mean he was super nice when he was a human. I just thought it'd be nice to have a companion like that."

I almost shut down beside her, as my jaw clenched and my fingers closed around the railing. I didn't look at her now, agitated but fighting it off. I didn't have Colby to keep me calm.

"You were with him," I said. It was not a question.

"Yes and no. I kissed him once, for a very short amount of time while he was human. He was too warm for me and way out of my league. Besides, he has a penis so I'm not interested so much anymore." My eyes moved to Melanie in a flash, causing her to burst out laughing. "I'm slowly leaning more toward girls," she explained, nodding toward the female worker who had stopped for a moment. I watched them exchange a smiley stare before she darted back to the doorframe.

"Right," I said, "I guess that's good to know."

"Do you have problems with other girls often?" Melanie asked.

I shrugged. "If I do, I don't notice them. I know Colby's only got eyes for me. Although I have to admit, he's had a few awful choices in the past—and I swear they've all been blonde."

Melanie laughed. "Yeah, that was his type for a while." She stared me up and down, a smirk building on her face. "Maybe he was just waiting to find out what real attraction feels like, biding his time with girls he didn't really like."

"Well, the goal was fuck and fuck off," I reminded her slowly. I had not completely eased into this conversation, but it wasn't awful. I could see there was only a friendly admiration in Melanie's eyes, and she looked at me with total respect.

"Exactly," she agreed with me, then patted my arm. "You're a wonderful fit for him, by the way. I saw the way he looked at you as you walked away from him the other day. I've never had anyone look at me like that."