RTC: 21: Chapter Four: Prompt

Take a well-known story, be it a fairy tale, fable, myth, epic, legend, classic novel, play, ballet

Take a well-known story, be it a fairy tale, fable, myth, epic, legend, classic novel, play, ballet...anything that might be considered a 'classic story' and put an unexpected creative spin on it.

We accept stories from any cultural background, it just has to be something that most people would be familiar with and can recognize.

Please don't mix classics with bestsellers stories such as Harry Potter.

"Classics are stories written over 100 years ago that stand the test of time as works of high literary merit and artistic qualities. Classics are universally appealing to readers and their themes endure and resonate in contemporary society. Classics are also traditionally accepted as influential in shaping culture."

We are looking for retellings that combine well-known characters and storylines with unexpected elements. Blow our minds with your creativity!

In this contest, we allow your imagination to run wild, so you aren't bound by a single prompt. However, we understand the difficulty in choosing a concept so we have come up with a few examples to illustrate what we mean by "unexpected." You're welcome to use any of these examples if one appeals to you or you can create a brand new idea.

✿ Cinderella going to a ball in a... spaceship

✿ Romeo fighting... zombies

✿ Pinocchio turning into... Prince Charming

✿ Don Quixote falls in love with an...  incredibly handsome Mafia boss

✿ Maleficent born as... Sleeping Beauty

✿ Jack turning into a... giant after eating the magic beans

✿ Madame de Mortsauf is a werewolf who rebelled... against the Salem witch trials' accusations of witchcraft

✿ If Belle... was the villain and Gaston and the Beast were the couple

✿ If Aphrodite was married to... Ares instead of Hephaestus

✿ If Hansel and Gretel were... demons in disguise

If you would like to write a story by addressing diversity themes, you are free to do so!

Skip to the next chapters for the other details, please.