Gothic Gloom

Gothic fiction can be characterised as having a gloomy feel, incorporating elements of fear, horror, and death, and is often romanticised with elements such as nature, individuality, and very high fear or suspenseful emotions.

The term Gothic actually originated as a term belittling 18th century architecture and art of the period, which was dark, decaying, and dismal. Story settings are often old, dilapidated buildings or houses in gloomy, lifeless, fear-inducing landscapes. Often monsters, such as vampires, are romanticised, despite bringing suffering and death.

Your prompt is to write a maximum 1000 word story incorporating gothic elements as mentioned above. Place great consideration to your setting and characters as these define the style.

Your story should be suitable for everyone (not mature) and submitted using THIS FORM by 14th May 2017. 

It should be a new story and not one you have previously written. It should not be part of a collection due to the prize of addition to a reading list.

Only stories written in English will be considered as we do not have other language capabilities for judging.

The winning story will be announced on 22nd May 2017 (World Goth Day) and the Top 10 stories added to a new Gothic Reads list.

Good luck!