A Spoonful of Sugar Helps Cover Up The Mess (2)

"Time outs," Lilliana replied on cue.

"Banned me from the kitchen," Elliot said, "though I did set the curtains on fire. I mean, I also set her on fire, but it was one time, though."

Matthew eyed the black patch of tile behind the stove top. "That checks out," he mutters. He made a mental note to ban the boy from the kitchen permanently.

"Sent us to our rooms."

"'Stripped privileges', whatever that means," Elliot said, "but, most of the time, it just meant we couldn't do stuff we wanted to."

"One of them said we couldn't have food."

What made the conversation worse, to him at least, was that the previous nannies' punishments were decent, safe for the final one.

Eyes narrowing, Matthew asked, "Do you know what 'consequences' are?"

Elliot nodded, then quickly added, "A lot of Gods have them for humans who don't listen to them."

Matthew sighed. "I mean...you're not wrong there." He sat down on the sticky floor, crossing his legs. "Consequences are the things that happen to you when you've done something you're not supposed to. It can be called a punishment, but I think explaining why you're getting the consequences makes more sense rather than just punishing someone without explanation."

The children stared. They said nothing.

"...what didn't you understand about that?"

"Why're you telling us? We didn't sleep a lot last night. So what?" asked Elliot. "I mean, we can't make the night come back now...can we?"

"Bedtimes are non-negotiable. You didn't listen, which means you get consequences for doing it."

Lilliana's eyes widened. "Are you not going to give us food?"

"Absolutely not, but I am seriously considering moving the creek picnic to another day."

Elliot's jaw dropped open. "But you said –"

"Consequences."

His lip quivered. "But Matt –"

"Elliot, breathe."

"You saaaaaaiiiiiiiid," he whined, stomping his feet.

"Earn it back, then. If you guys can show me you're willing to make up for not listening last night, we can go down to the creek today."

The boy's response was to whine more.

"But that means both of you need to listen." He paused, taking in a slow breath to settle the sudden wash of nausea in his stomach. "Now...I want you to go get ready. Put clothes on while I get breakfast started." If he could find anything to start with. "We can't go to the creek unless both of you are listening. You both want to go, you both have to listen."

Lilly nodded, a confused expression on her face. Turning slowly, she grabbed Elliot's hand.

He swatted her away. Elliot whined, bouncing in frustration.

"We can't go to the creek unless both of you are listening," Matthew repeated, the dull throbbing still present. "I know how excited you are to go, but you need to understand that listening to each other is really important. Not just right now, but for the rest of your life." He stood up. "If you are not willing to listen, then fine. That is your choice. But you can't blame me if you decide you don't want to listen."

Elliot didn't move.

"Lilliana, if you want, you can go get ready for breakfast."

She nodded and, after a few steps, darted for the other side of the house.

"Eli, if you want, you can go get ready for breakfast, too."

The boy's frown grew.

"I'm not going to make you make a choice, Eli. If you want to stand there, that's fine, but you're the one who risks not going to the creek today." Matthew turned in search of...something for breakfast.

The pitter-patter of steps echoed across the living room and dissipated.

When Matthew finally found a pan tucked away under the sink, one caked in dust, rat droppings, and cobwebs, Lilliana had returned, taking a seat at the island counter.

Two minutes later, Elliot slipped into the chair next to his younger cousin.

Wiping his eyes and taking in a slow breath to steady his agitated nerves, Matthew's eyelid continued to twitch. "H –" He cleared his throat. "How do you guys feel about pancakes?"