We Have No Idea How To Operate With Such Chaos

Wonderful white wisps billowed up from the plate. The sight was made all the more comfortable by the rain pelting against the back windows looking out into the garden, sending warming shivers through the occupants of the breakfast room.

"How plain," Mr. Yang noted, prodding the bowl of ramen with his fork. "No chopsticks?"

Audrey sighed as she placed down her bowl in a spot next to Matthew. "I couldn't find them," she sighed.

"Pantry, second shelf on the left. They're in a wicker box," Matthew whispered, swirling the noodles around his fork. "I'll get them," he continued, shuffling out of his spot from the booth.

"Mr. Robinson, sit down. You're meant to be convalescing, which means 'no work'."

Matthew, grimacing, moved back to his seat.

"I believe I also specified no processed foods at this table, Ms. Culpepper," the older man continued, his glare burning with a passion Matthew hadn't seen for a long while, "yet you seemed to have presented...instant ramen with none of the traditional toppings."

Audrey forced a smile. "Unfortunately, I needed to make sure the children did their homework. I...underestimated how long it would take to help Lilliana with cursive."

Matthew sighed. He was grateful, at the very least, that he'd be missing this week's "parent"-teacher meeting.

She clicked her teeth. "Elliot also threw a tantrum over doing a piece of homework."

"It was extra credit!" the boy insisted, jumping onto his knees. "I didn't have to do it!"

Mr. Yang's sunken brown eyes moved to Audrey. "Extra credit?"

She nodded. "Y-yes. I-I very firmly believe that children benefit from doing the extra credit."

"I'm sure their teachers would say the exact same thing," Mr. Yang muttered. "Have they finished their work the tutors assigned them?"

The light left Audrey's blue eyes. Her shoulders slumped forward. Her nose wrinkled, she sighed again. "I'm certain they have, but I'd be more than happy to double-check that."

"We haven't," Lilliana chimed in.

Mr. Yang's eyes moved back to her. "Hm," was all he said – a short, clearly disappointed sound.

Audrey sat herself down next to Matthew and started eating.

Lilly, sharing the confused expression of her father, leaned herself over, staring into the bowl. "Is this just noodles?"

Elliot, meanwhile, plopped himself back into his seat and scooped up the noodles, shoving them into his mouth. "Ugh, finally! Someone makes something normal!" He turned to Matthew and added, "Not that your stuff isn't normal, it's just got a lot of stuff in it I don't like."

Matthew rolled his eyes. He could feel the returning headache building in the back of his head.

Mr. Yang stood. "I'll be in my office."

Audrey sighed. "I'll save it for you."

"Don't. If I wanted to eat like a college student, I would've asked." Mr. Yang moved the bowl to the opposite side of the table. "How disappointing, Ms. Culpepper." As he started back towards the living room, he glanced over his shoulder and added, "I hope Mr. Robinson will be able to offer you suggestions on how to manage your time."

She sighed again. "Yes, sir."

"Rein in the tone, Ms. Culpepper. I'm not the one in this situation." He strolled back to his office.

It's Definitely Not All Mary PoppinsOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara