They're Judging Carpetbags (1)

By the time the school year had restarted, Matthew couldn't drive them to the front doors of Brookfell Academy fast enough. Everything seemed to pile on him at once – the Foundation got back to him, every estimate requested came in, Yang signed off on several companies and contractors, new kitchen appliances ordered and in transit, and his research into Lloyd's conversion seemed to breathe new life.

That all seemed to be the least of his concerns, anyways. Matthew just needed the time to work.

Elliot hated every second of school – from the moment he arrived to when he plopped down into Lloyd's front seat at the end of the day – though he enjoyed carving right-facing arrows into the walls of the auditorium. Reprimandings for the boy's vandalizing school property made Matthew a firm fixture of the front office and several classroom within the first week. Concerns of his interests lingered over each conversation, no teacher approaching the subject with finesse.

Lilliana, for the first two weeks, loved every second of it, reveling in the school and the new curriculum; that enthusiasm waned two weeks in, replaced with unwanted attention, constant outbursts, and frustration from all sides. She seemed to collect stories of unsatisfactory academic performances from frazzled teachers, her tests covered in doodles and red corrections, her penmanship sloppy and unreadable, and her behavior disruptive. Some of her teachers, however, marveled at her artistic talents and acute empathy for others; the compliments were undermined by a lack of following directions and outspokenness.

Slouched into an office chair, Matthew watched the clock ticking away. Fingers tapping on the wooden arm, he waited, stomach upturned in frustration. Out the tall windows, light filtered through the leaves, which had started their transition from bright green to fiery reds and oranges.

A receptionist kept her eye on him.

He rolled his eyes.

A door opened from the entry hall, and Mr. Yang strolled in, perfectly made up and glaring, his eyes forcing the receptionist to avert her gaze.

"Sir," Matthew started, standing.

"This is getting ridiculous," the older man hissed.

"I'm...well aware of that, sir."

Mr. Yang approached the desk. "I'd like to speak to Mr. Hanford, please."

"He's in a meeting right now, Mr. Yang," the receptionist answered. "If you'd like, it'll only be a few – "

"Would you kindly inform him that if I do not meet with him within the next..." He checked his watch, a brass-faced thing with a deep brown leather band. "...two minutes, I will formally withdraw my children from your establishment."

The receptionist smiled, her hands shaking as she picked up the phone.

Something bubbled in Matthew's stomach. Admiration definitely mixed with enviousness. He couldn't count the number of times he bit his tongue to be polite. "Always fun to watch," Matthew whispered to him.

Mr. Yang turned to him. "Watch your tone, Mr. Robinson. This shouldn't have happened to start with."

"I tried explaining that to them, to-to you, sir – "

"I'm aware – "

The principal's office door swung open, Mr. Hanford straightening his tie. "Mr. Yang, always a pleasure."

"Is there a particular reason why I need to be called here again?"

Mr. Hanford's eyes darted to Matthew before he cleared his throat. "Would you like to step into my office, sir?"

Mr. Yang placed his hands on the desktop. "If you are unable to offer a reasonable explanation for this – "

"It concerns your nanny, sir."

Matthew swallowed.

"I reiterate, if you are unable to offer a reasonable – "

"Sir?" Mr. Hanford asked, gesturing to the opened door of the office.

Pressing his fingertips to the bridge of his nose, Mr. Yang sighed. "Release my children to their nanny and I will happily do so."

Mr. Hanford tapped his fingers against his legs. "Ms. Harding, please call the Yang children to the office...please." He stepped to the side, hand gestured back to the office. "Sir?"

Matthew sat back down.

Mr. Yang turned back to the nanny. "Would you request the paperwork for withdrawal, please? Always nice to have on hand, just in case."

He nodded. "Yes, sir."

The older man strolled into Mr. Hanford's office, the principal's eyes lingering on Matthew as the door closed.