You're Acting Like Us (3)

Elliot pointed to Matthew. "Matt told us that, a lot of the time, it's everyone's fault when people fight." He turned to the younger man and asked, "You s – oh Gods, why do you smell like him too?" He pinched his nose, taking an exaggerated gasp through his mouth.

Matthew clenched his jaw, squishing the gum against his teeth.

Mr. Yang raised a brow.

Elliot waved his free hand through the air. "You, you said that, right? That it's everyone's fault when they fight."

Matthew nodded. "I...said that, a lot of the time, both people are at fault..." He eyed his employer for a moment. "...though the percentage of blame is, sometimes, uneven."

"What're you sorry for?" the girl asked her father.

Mr. Yang crossed his arms. "I don't have to justify anything to you. I did my job."

Lilly groaned, stomping her feet. "You're not sorry for making Matt scared of you?"

"I'm not sorry for reminding him of his position here, if that's what you mean. Or his job requirements."

"What about Eli?"

He eyed his nephew and turned back to her. "That, I'm...regretful for."

"Then say 'sorry'."

Swiveling in his overstuffed leather office chair, Mr. Yang sighed. "Elliot, I'm sorry."

The boy frowned, his nose still pinched. "Why?"

His brows narrowed again. "Excuse me?"

"Why are you sorry?"

Mr. Yang licked his lips. "I'm sorry I...upset you."

The way he said it made Matthew think even he wasn't sure why he was saying it.

Elliot groaned. "That's not why – Gods!"

"I said sorry, didn't I?"

"Yeah, but what difference does it make if you don't know why you're saying 'sorry'?"

Eyes turning to Matthew, Mr. Yang glared.

The younger man sighed and stepped forward, hands resting against the back of the angled wooden chair. "Guys, can I apologize for something?"

"No." Eli put his hand up. "You've got nothing to be sorry about."

"Oh, trust me, I do." He met the older man's eyes. "Besides, I want to set a good example."

The children looked at him and nodded.

Matthew sat down. "Sir – Mr. Yang, I'm sorry for, for pushing back as hard as I did."

"Hm," was all he said.

Elliot tugged on his shirt. "...why? Say why."

He tilted his head, frowning. "That's a really complicated answer, but...it boils down to..." He shifted in the seat, turning fully to the boy. "It's really hard for me to stand by and watch someone who doesn't know the field as well as I do tell me exactly how to do anything; it makes me feel as though they don't trust me to do anything." He glanced at Mr. Yang before continuing, "I got degrees in childcare and psychology for a reason."

Mr. Yang rolled his eyes.

"You ass," Eli snapped.

"Eli," Matthew whispered, "dude, pull back. You're not making this any easier."

"But he is!"

"Eli."

Grumbling, Elliot backed away, his free arm crossed over his chest.

"Second, I'd like to apologize, again, for pushing back as hard as I did." Matthew turned to the man behind the desk. "It...really pisses me off when you don't listen. It makes me think you don't care."

Mr. Yang crossed his arms. "Well, I'm sorry."

"For what?"

"For being hard on you."

Matthew frowned. "Are you just saying it, or do you actually mean it?"

Mr. Yang grimaced, turning away.

Closing his eyes and sighing, he shifted towards Elliot. "Guys, can we have the room, please?"

Lilly nodded. "Do you want the door closed?"

"Absolutely not."

She turned and left.

Elliot lingered for longer than Matthew would've liked.

"Eli, the door's open. Just, call in if you don't like something being said."

That seemed to encourage the boy to turn and walk out.