The Benefits Dinner (7)

"What's a homosexual?" asked Lilly casually the following morning. "Also, can we get donuts later? I don't really want cake anymore."

Mr. Yang dropped his egg piece and toast. "Excuse me?"

The girl pursed his lips, eyes moving back and forth between her father and nanny. "Donuts. Can we get them later?"

Her father shifted in the booth, glaring.

Lilly's eyes widened. "I...y'know, I just – "

Matthew put down his fork, a hardened look crossing his face. "Lilliana Yang, were you listening to my and your father's conversation last night?" he asked, moving his own breakfast to the side.

"I wasn't!" she insisted.

"Yeah! What she said! We were both in bed!" Eli chimed in.

"Elliot Yang-Snyder, were you listening, too?"

He pursed his lips and leaned back. "N-no!"

Matthew exchanged a glance between him and his employer.

Mr. Yang, however, seemed amused by all this. "You're both grounded," Mr. Yang announced casually, returning to his meal.

"Sir." Matthew held up his hand. "Allow me?"

He glared. "Do you plan to undermine me?"

"Absolutely not."

The man nodded.

"Oh, you're both grounded for breaking bedtime rules and for eavesdropping on a private conversation. That isn't cool."

"That's not fair!" Elliot shouted, standing on the seat of the breakfast nook. "We thought you were gonna be fired!"

It was Mr. Yang's turn to interject – "Would I really fire someone whose lasted this long?"

"Yes," the boy hissed. "You fired Ana, like, a month after she got here!"

Mr. Yang blinked. "I don't remember Ana."

"She had short hair, and, and cooked lots of bread – "

Lilliana gasped. "Oooooooh! I remember her bagels! They had honey and lemon in them!" She immediately turned to Matthew. "Can you make honey and lemon bagels, Matt?"

Matthew's nose wrinkled at the thought. 'There's nothing I'd love more than to make bread. Bread that tastes like a goddamn cough drop.'

The older man met Matthew's gaze. "I don't remember her."

"But you're not fired?" asked Eli.

Matthew glanced down at himself. "I'm eating breakfast here, aren't I?"

Elliot fist-bumped the air, plopped himself back down, and went back to eating.

Mr. Yang met Matthew's glance for a moment before returning to his breakfast.

With a seeming sigh of relief, the morning started.