The Benefits Dinner (4)

He waited. Matthew felt like he had to wait up. He couldn't go to bed knowing his employer would potentially run into the person who ruined his life; even if he could, Matt wouldn't sleep. Even if Mr. Yang was furious with him, he needed to kill the flame, even a little. If anything, he needed to assure himself that he was ready to be fired, worst came to worse.

The older man returned after midnight, the front door opening and closing so quietly that Matthew almost hadn't noticed his arrival, his mind lost in the cup of water sitting in his hands. It was only when Mr. Yang asked, "What are you doing, Mr. Robinson?" that he came to his senses.

His eyes lingered on the man for a moment before fixing themselves on a darkened spot in the living room. "Welcome back, sir."

The kitchen glowed dully, a beacon of light in a house otherwise dark. The unwelcome silence settled once the children were in bed, and Matthew couldn't bring himself to drown out the noise. 'An added punishment for waiting,' he told himself.

Loosening his tie, Mr. Yang stared. His house slippers slapping on the concrete floor, he pulled up a chair at the island. He reeked of cigar smoke. "Why are you up, Mr. Robinson?"

He didn't answered. He kept his eyes away.

The older man sat down. He took in a breath, then sighed. "Mr. Robinson, there are some things that, transpired this evening that I'd like to speak to you about. I don't see a better time than right now, with the children asleep, but...is this a bad time?"

Matthew swallowed. His eyes burned. "...no, sir."

"Well, there are some things that have transpired over the past..." He cleared his throat. "...couple weeks that need clearing up, in my opinion." Mr. Yang leaned, head supported in his hand. "I'll ask again: is this a good time?"

He moved his drink to the side.

Mr. Yang kept his eyes fixed on the nanny. "I'd like to ask this question once more, and I'd like you to answer honestly." The man's tone was so surprisingly low that Matthew could've mistaken it for intimidation. "You're supremely overqualified for someone who's been unable to get a job anywhere." He paused, the air still. "Tell me why that is."

Audrey. Audrey fucking Culpepper.

Matthew licked his lips. He clenched his jaw before whispering, "...wouldn't know where to start, sir."

"Hm." This one was short, but still thoughtful. "I'm all ears if you're willing."

He moved the mug back in front of him, wrapping his fingers around its sides. Matthew couldn't look at him. "I...was romantically involved – "

"I did not ask for a bloated romance novel, Mr. Robinson. You dated." He sighed, leaning back into the chair. "Continue."

He cleared his throat. "I dated...Ms. Culpepper for about a year, while I was studying for my Masters." He swallowed, quenching his parched throat. "We broke up because she..." He breathlessly chuckled. "...I don't think anything I did ever seemed good enough for her." He bit his cheek. "I don't know what happened after we broke up, but she...must've traveled around with her father bad-mouthing me. For...maybe out of spite? I don't know." He glanced back to the older man.

Mr. Yang stared back, his expression softening into something Matthew couldn't read.

"Everywhere I interviewed, her last name followed. Like a bad smell I could never shake off." Matthew clenched his jaw and wiped his eyes. "She put so many years of studying and working to waste in one summer."

Drawing in a slow breath, Yang asked, "May I pose some questions? To clear up some of the allegations said against you?"