Chapter 2

The place was a total circus.

The front steps of the student center had been roped off to form a platform where a podium and mic had been placed.

It was well in the afternoon when crowds had gathered for the press conference that was being held by the university. Reporters and cameras were standing at the sides behind the ropes.

On stage was Dean Fisher, a sharp looking woman in her 40s who was addressing the spectators. Beside her stood the cops, the local Sheriff as well as some FBI agents.

"... And we feel this unfortunate isolated tragedy in no way reflects upon our fine school. We should trust that the authorities and FBI are acting quickly to bring us answers."

Standing on the lawn were you and your friends along with a bunch of other students.

You sunk your teeth into your lower lip, feeling visibly sick spectating the whole thing and wanting nothing more than to deny this was really happening again.

"But what are they doing? He's talking but he's not saying anything," Derek commented unimpressed as now the Sheriff was fielding questions.

"No, we have no evidence of a serial killer. We think the killer acted deliberately and not at random..."

From across the field, you spotted two gorgeous sorority type of girls, Lois and Murphy. They were standing with their usual fraternity jock boyfriends, attitude and looks included.

"Have they questioned you yet, (Y/N)?" Joel asked. He was a guy in his 20s, black, sensible and friendly. You got along with him well.

"This has nothing to do with me, Joel," You promptly dodged his question, your brows knitting. "Who's hungry?"

Hallie absentmindedly filed her nails, muttering, "I have rehearsal."

"I have to watch rehearsal–" Mickey scowled as Hallie kicked him not so discreetly.

Joel moved closer to you. "I gotta hit the library. Anatomy. You gonna be okay, (Y/N)? I'll stop by the Deltas tonight."

You smiled gratefully at him. "Thanks, Joel."

Joel smiled back, heading out as Lois and Murphy sauntered over. "Hello, pledges. Enjoying yourselves?"

Instantly, Hallie stood at attention, you joining her begrudgingly. "Yes, sister Lois. Very much so. Thank you for asking."

You loved your black haired friend a lot but right now you wanted to sock her in the arm.

Derek nudged Mickey with his elbow, talking like he was just thinking aloud. "How do you put up with this Greek shit?"

You pursed your lips, trying your absolute best to stop the grin that wanted to break out on your face when you heard his remark.

"It's cool. Hallie's into it, I'm into Hallie..." Mickey pointed out.

But your amusement didn't last for very long because the two girls 'kindly informed' you about the Delta TP fundraiser.

Next thing, you were selling toilet paper across the entire campus.

By now, you and Hallie had split up and were moving among the crowd.

Several students actually bought some, but then again, it was college and you already felt like people were just buying it to pelt it at random houses down the block.

After pocketing your change, you hesitantly went up to Gale who was standing alone.

"Hey, Gale," you greeted as casually as you could, keeping your gaze focused on her face that twisted into an overly, up-to-no-good excited smile.